90 EFI Fuel Pump

When I put the EFI on my 90 V8 from my classic that I scrapped, I used a new RRC intank fuel pump which was adjusted to the depth of the 90 tank. Straight fit! Slight problem is that it came in a blue box and just over 8000 miles later it has gone bang - some may say no surprise there then.

Just to get it back on the road, I am going to do the same again, but with an Allmakes pumps which are cheap and will get me going again for minimum hassle and cost until I can sort the fuel system out properly.

Not being a fan of intank pumps, as one burned out in my previous 90 completely blackening the wires and not being a fan of electricity in fuel tanks, I would quite like to fit an external pump and will probably do this later in the year when it does not matter so much if it is off the road. My initial thoughts is to fit a low pressure (Facet solid state as I already have one which is brand new) fed off the fuel pump relay which feeds the existing pump which will pump to an external Bosch type fuel injection pump. I would anticipate putting in a return line with a restrictor so as to keep a slight positive pressure on the Bosch pump.

I just think this is quite complicated and expensive would rather just fit one external pump which did everything - if one exists. I know roller vane injection pumps do not last long if asked to suck! Does anyone know of a pump which would be OK which I can mount down on the chassis member so at about half tank height and what has everyone else done when fitting EFI to their V8 landies? The pump would need to keep a fairly highly tuned 4.2 happy! I am all ears to other suggestions or just do the twin pump set up?

Toby

I used an external inline pump. when first fitting my 3.9 in my110 ,but it was quite noisy , so went to the intank pump set up (it was a V8 CSW originally) I have now gone to common rail diesel , and have just left the intank pump as primary , and then inline as secondary . The noise of the inline might have been caused by the sucking , although it was low down on chassis , and lasted years.

I would suggest either low pressure in tank and external hp inline, or facet as primary and inline secondary HP , or best option HP intank. JMHOP