OT: Eudora

BogMonster

Anybody using the current v7 of Eudora for email, and is it any good? I installed Mozilla Thunderpants the other week and it annoyed me intensely, I am an avid Firefox convert but hated Thunderbox, but Outlook Express is chugging a bit with 8 years worth of work email on it so I'm trying to find something with a quick indexing function that can cope with thousands and thousands of emails in different folders.

Ta :)

Anybody using the current v7 of Eudora for email, and is it any good? I installed Mozilla Thunderpants the other week and it annoyed me intensely, I am an avid Firefox convert but hated Thunderbox, but Outlook Express is chugging a bit with 8 years worth of work email on it so I'm trying to find something with a quick indexing function that can cope with thousands and thousands of emails in different folders.

Ta :)

Hi Stephen - funny you should mention Eudora I had the first look at the web site the other night for what must be a couple of years - see it is going open source like TB & FF.

I used to use Eudora years ago (when you could buy it !!) paid around £21 from PC World.....I actually quite like it but it will have moved on through a number of versions since then. It didn't do news groups then but the newer versions may do.

For info. what's bugging you about TB.....

Oh it just bluddy annoyed me so I deleted it. Nothing was in the right place and it changed all the associations to point to itself so if you were in outlook express and opened an .eml attachment it would open it in Thunderbird and then when I uninstalled it, the association wasn't reversed so I ended up not being able to open saved emails at all, and then I had to do some serious digging in the Registry to fix it. Just didn't like it, but I am cranky about programs!

I used to use Eudora too, many years ago when I first got email, and it seemed ok then, in fact I can't really remember why I stopped using it - v3 I think it was.

Stephen, if your criteria for an email client is that it must look and behave exactly like Outlook Express, you aren't going to find anything else you like...

Personally I wouldn't touch OE, mostly because of it's sordid security history. It's also very, very basic compared to modern mail readers like Thunderbird and Eudora.