J series 90

hi everyone , I am new to the forum ,

I have a f reg 90 with the turbo Diesel engine , the injection pump is u/s , and looks like quite a large oil leak from the passenger side of the engine somewhere , is it worth getting the engine repaired or get a 200 tdi engine fitted as I believe they are a straight swap ,

Either way is there anyone in Bristol that can help for a wedge of cash ?

Thanks

Ian .

The Defender version of the 200tdi engine is pretty much drop-in as I understand it. The Disco version takes a little more effort.

I've bought a disco engine I plan to replace my 19j 2.5TD with but it needs a little cleaning and sorting out first.

My reckoning is by the time I've costed up the engine, and conversion parts and the time I'm looking at about £1k to convert.

Is this within your budget?

Can you identify the source of the oil leak? Despite the rumours they aren't actually a bad engine and if you can sort out these relatively minor issues you could run it for a while whist you source a decent replacement.

I agree the old 2.5TD really isn't a bad engine. Sure it's not the speediest, but they trundle along just fine.

As for the 200Tdi conversion. Yep as far as engine swaps go it's pretty easy. A 90 engine will be an easier swap, but more expensive to buy. A Disco engine is a little more work (do your research first), but are usually cheaper and easier to buy.

Do note however, that while the swap is fairly easy, it always costs more than you originally plan. And it's not always the big expensive bits, but 10 items at £20 each suddenly adds up.

Consider you'll want to replace the clutch while you have it all apart. Engine mounts will likely need replacing. Other hoses, connectors and pipes.

Check out Steve Parker, they sell some pretty good conversion kits for doing this.

Thanks for the reply's

I have about 2k budget , to sort the engine & both rear hubs seals are leaking , I just don't want to get a injection pump fitted to find the engine is no good , unfortunately I don't have the time or equipment do to it my self

Thanks for the reply's

I have about 2k budget , to sort the engine & both rear hubs seals are leaking , I just don't want to get a injection pump fitted to find the engine is no good , unfortunately I don't have the time or equipment do to it my self

What is the symptom of the injection pump fault?

There is a diaphragm in there you can replace which is quick/simple/cheap(ish)

When mine went it was low on power and pressurising the fuel tank

The pump had a fuel leak out of the o ring , but it used to start after quite a few turn overs , I replaced it , now there is no fuel output to the injectors , I might try a fuel injection firm by me just to check it over , it is a cav type pump