Saggy springs diesel 88

cra42

Need some thoughts on my problem;

I have a 88 diesel. Had a little sag in truck towards driver/rightside. Truck is right hand drive. Truck is a 1980 so thinking freshening springs. Replaced parabolics and shocks with complete non parabolic package from Rover North. Now with new parts installed the right side front is 1 1/4" lower than left and rear right is 1 3/4" lower than left rear. Spoke with Rover North and they think might work its self out. This is no complaint about Rover North.

Assume my issue is weight of diesel engine? How can I level truck? Was thinking might be shackles? Can i add a leaf to spring set on right side or air shocks on right side.

Have gotten some valuable info from this group. Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,

Ryan

I'm assuming here that you have leaf springs front and rear. I don't suppose (and I'm not familiar with leaf sprung Land Rovers, my Disco is coils front and rear) but is it possible that due to incorrect labels that you have a front spring on the rear and vice versa ?

It wont be the weight of the engine.

The leaf springs are different rates on each side to allow for the fuel tank and driver. The diesel spring set is, from memory slightly more HD than the petrol version. You may have them round the wrong way.

It would be worth trying to get a Series 3 workshop manual. There's a bunch of links to parts books in the Parts Request section of this forum. The book will have all the relevant information you need.

I'm assuming here that you have leaf springs front and rear. I don't suppose (and I'm not familiar with leaf sprung Land Rovers, my Disco is coils front and rear) but is it possible that due to incorrect labels that you have a front spring on the rear and vice versa ?

It wont be the weight of the engine.

Front and rear leaf springs are completely different lengths, it would be impossible to install them in the wrong place.

Spoke with Rovers North. No way can install front on rear. They stated the springs aren't side specific. Recommend to rotate springs left to right on front and rear. Doesn't seem like a good solution, but i`ll try. Still open for other suggestions. Maybe a additional leaf on right side?

No you can't fir them front to rear, just not possible.

The fact they're suggesting you swap them left to right after telling you they're not handy is very odd!! OEM Springs are handed, there's the same number of leafes, but the drivers side has slightly more bend in them. When you take them off, stand them side by side upside down on the floor, taller ones should be on the drivers side.

I took Josh NZ advice and did a little research in Parts Request section. I found out that the 109"petrol and 88" diesel use the same springs. Rover North sold me regular 88" springs. Don't believe any malaise on their part, but i'm not gonna rotate springs. Just gonna replace.

Thanks,

Ryan