Chassis swap - what can be improved

henk

Bought a 3 door 110 that needs a new chassis and found already another chassis.

Want to get it galvanised before the swap but what can I do before galvanising to make it stronger and eventually forsee rollcage points or other things ????

first check with the vehicle registration/testing authority in your country if it is legal to use a 2nd hand chassis, as a example in UK using a 2nd hand chassis means you loose the original VIN & regstration numbers & have to use the VIN/identity of the 2nd hand chassis to be completly legal.

• Like 1

Once you've covered the legal aspect as Ralph rightly points out, you need to decide what you actually want to do with the vehicle. It's not very easy to start welding brackets on for roll cages, hoping that they;'re in the right place, chances are when you actually come to do it things will have changed and you'll have had a better idea.

What you can do is make sure everything is structurally sound, paying particular attention to the known weak point - A-frame cross member for one.

Other than that, you can strengthen it in a few places - rear crossmember perhaps, maybe put on some outriggers for rocksliders if you were to make your own, but otherwise the 110 chassis is pretty damn good!

One thing you can do is build in some decent recovery points. Many people use the lashing eyes and consequently do a lot of damage. When I had my project 109 chassis made I asked Richards to fit me some 88" spring hangers behind the rear spring hangers. My plan was to sleeve them instead of bush them, then they'd be a good recovery point (they forgot to fit them). Problem with using the lashing eyes is that the pull often swings a shackle right up against the bottom of the rail, and if it's a strong and slightly uphill pull then it can punch the shackle right through a weak bottom. By lowering it as I was going to do, it moves it away and stops it happening.

http://www.landyzone.co.uk/lz/attachments/f7/34730d1345536441-roll-cages-chassis-img_5595.jpg

difficult on an ipad to insert images...but was thinking about something like this

For the legal part: here in Belgium in case your vinnr is unreadable, you go to an official LR dealer and ask them to put the number in once again. Costs about 140£ and you're ok for the MOT.

mostly you do it yourself and just pay for the document ... :)