Leisure battery charger

Cynic-al

Through my own fault I've killed my 18 month old Numax 120Ah leisure battery :angry2: I sent it back to Manbat with the hope that they would be able to work magic with it, they were incredibly helpful but basically it's a paper weight. I've been high current charging it on a dumb charger and it has revived a little but it's not going to be good enough for what I want so I'm going to have to put my hand in my pocket. :o

Manbat advised I took it off during periods of inactivity and put it on a maintenance charger, I've got a Ctek which is too small but apart from the mode button going a bit temperamental its been ok, however when you get to a 10 amp charger they're pretty expensive, wondered if anyone else had an opinion on any of these?

https://www.tayna.co.uk/Numax-Leisure-Battery-Charger-10A-P6128.html

https://www.tayna.co.uk/10A-Powerline-7-Stage-Automatic-Battery-Charger-10-Amp-P9570.html

https://www.tayna.co.uk/CTEK-MXS-10-10A-Battery-Charger-and-Conditioner-MXS10-P8840.html

I didnt do it on a car but i guess if its an overlander or whatever thats used infrequently you could have the same problem.

I was led to believe the master switch on the caravan i bought at the same time as the battery shut off everything but it turns out the radio is wired to bypass the master switch. I charged it on the caravan before I parked it up in October. I put the power back on when we had the frost as I put a frost heater in it. I then put the power back on before I used it at Easter but when I came to leave the motor mover wouldn't move it an inch.

Basically in that time the radio had flattened it and held it flat. When I realised this I sent it away to manbat to be looked at and wired a timer to the caravan supply so I could charge it a day a week or whatever but I've since done a bit of research and the general feeling is that as caravan chargers are on for prolonged periods they are designed to under charge rather than over charge and the recommendation is to take it off during these periods and use a maintenance charger with a charge current of around 10% of its capacity to keep it in good health - so fitting the charger was probably a waste of time too! The battery came back as unserviceable but if i cycle it it might get some life back. I think if I didn't have the motor mover if would be good enough to just balance out the electric supply and do lights etc but the last thing I want is it stuck on the road!

Hope that makes sense and wasn't too long winded. :)