Anyone doing a Tdi auto conversion?

Guest deleted

Guest dew110CSW

I've had experience with a 300tdi with a ZF Auto, and it wasn't good. The gearbox seemed to think it was a Pencil Sharpner half the time, and the other half couldn't be bothered.

RRCs worked as Autos, 90/110s don't I'm afraid.

I've had experience with a 300tdi with a ZF Auto, and it wasn't good. The gearbox seemed to think it was a Pencil Sharpner half the time, and the other half couldn't be bothered.

RRCs worked as Autos, 90/110s don't I'm afraid.

I disagree, you need to tune the engine a bit and play with the kickdown but they're actually quite good. My 90 (zf4 hp22/24 hybrid autobox behind a 2.8tgv) is/was very nice to drive.

Guest dew110CSW

Ok, maybe I worded that a bit badly. "I've yet to see a 90/110 Auto that works".

Having had experence of a couple (one was a 3.9 V8 with RRC Engine/Box) I didn't find either of them pleasureable to be in, the 3.9 wasn't too bad, but still lacked the ability of some.

BTW, What's a 2.8TGV engine? I assume it's a Dihatsu or Isuzu lump?

2.8TGV is a Brasilian built updated version of the LR 300Tdi engine, when the Td5 came on stream LR sold the 300Tdi line to Brasil, the 2.8 seems to be a popular engine when it's replacement time for worn out Tdi's.

Yes, that's basically it; a re engineered 300tdi with a varible geometry turbo. In standard tune it puts out about 135bhp and 280 lb/ft of torque. Tweeked and with LPG injection (will happen during the rebuild) I'm hoping for arround 220 bhp and 450 lb/ft :huh:

They're a very good engine (I know a few people who've fitted them) and I've yet to hear a bad word about them (appart from the fact they eat drivetrains :blush: )

Guest diesel_jim
They're a very good engine (I know a few people who've fitted them) and I've yet to hear a bad word about them (appart from the fact they eat drivetrains :blush: )

And also that i can't afford one yet..... :angry:

Yes, that's basically it; a re engineered 300tdi with a varible geometry turbo. In standard tune it puts out about 135bhp and 280 lb/ft of torque. Tweeked and with LPG injection (will happen during the rebuild) I'm hoping for arround 220 bhp and 450 lb/ft :huh:

220bhp and 450lb/ft....

610Nm... really??? :blink:

so a over a 60% increase in torque from standard??.... very unlikely IMHO... unless Scorpion are doing the work for you??? :ph34r:

132 bhp as standard (99kw) - so again over 60% inprovement.... unlikely.

Thats just like some of the figures people claim for Td5's..... Maybe on an inaccurate rolling road.

However, I would like to be proved wrong.

I've no doubt you could probably get 200bhp.... but the 610Nm of torque... I don't think so.

Ian

220bhp and 450lb/ft....

so a over a 60% increase in torque from standard??.... very unlikely IMHO... unless Scorpion are doing the work for you??? :ph34r:

Thats just like some of the figures people claim for Td5's..... Maybe on an inaccurate rolling road.

I've no doubt you could probably get 200bhp.... but the 610Nm of torque... I don't think so.

Ian

i suppose it depends how far you push things

you can always squeeze loads more hosses out than standard, depends on how much the engine likes it, and for how long it is willing to take it.

perhaps the intention is to be a low mileage black smoke belcher

perhaps not. i suppose only one person can answer that

to stray a little off topic, any idea what the typical power drain of a landie's transmission is between flywheel and wheels?

220bhp and 450lb/ft....

Ian

Ian, initial work will be boost up to 30psi (yes, these engines seem to be able to take it), fueling tweek, a high flow intercooler, straight through exhaust with minimal bends (fast turbo spool up), LPG injection and a low restriction raised air intake (through the rear of the cab). All will be setup properly on a 4 wheel rolling road. Those figures are with the gas on. I expect a bit under 200bhp and 400lb/ft without gas on. Yes, these are big increases but from those who've done these sort of things already these engines seem to respond very well to tuning. I will be taking it quite a long way but the idea is to have lots of power / torque but it'll only be used for short bursts and I'll be keeping an eye on EGT. In terms of lifetime, the power won't be used that often and the engine will get oit and filters every other event at most. To put it into context, there are a couple of 'race spec' 2.8's I know that claim to run 55psi of boost and have lasted several thousand miles so far :ph34r: