Series 2A crank pulley timing marks.

Les Henson

I've been working on a S2A this morning, and needed to find TDC. The only marks on the crank pulley were ' 6 I I I I I 6'.

No line or mark for TDC, and I couldn't get the engine to run without doing it 'by ear'

Are these marks the correct timing marks with TDC in the middle?

I have to say that the engine runs smoothly, but after setting static timing by using the centre of the marks, I had to rotate the dizzy anti-clockwise a good 45dg more (advance) to get the engine running smoothly.

No sign of any other mark on the pulley. Vehicle is ex NATO apparently, the engine block, chassis coating, and dashboard are military. Gearbox x-member is welded though.

Any thought on this please?

Les. :)

i wouldn't know, but confronted with the markings you have i'd guess the same, i know its not very exact but couldn't you take the rocker cover off to make sure both No 1 valves were shut and the plug out to try and see if its a tdc?

I've been working on a S2A this morning, and needed to find TDC. The only marks on the crank pulley were ' 6 I I I I I 6'.

No line or mark for TDC, and I couldn't get the engine to run without doing it 'by ear'

Are these marks the correct timing marks with TDC in the middle?

I have to say that the engine runs smoothly, but after setting static timing by using the centre of the marks, I had to rotate the dizzy anti-clockwise a good 45dg more (advance) to get the engine running smoothly.

No sign of any other mark on the pulley. Vehicle is ex NATO apparently, the engine block, chassis coating, and dashboard are military. Gearbox x-member is welded though.

Any thought on this please?

Les. :)

Hi Les,

Reading from left to right the lines are 6 degrees ATDC, 3 degrees ATDC, 0 degrees(TDC), 3 degrees BTDC, 6 degrees BTDC.

If I remember correctly, a 2a would normally have the pulley with only one mark, with a multiple tooth pointer on the timing cover.

I thought that only later engines had the multiple mark pulley with a single point timing case pointer.

I would be tempted to check for true top dead centre using the old 'screwdriver down the number one spark hole' trick.

They often tend to run best at about 6 degrees BTDC on modern fuel anyway.

Regards,

Diff