Power Steering Reservoir fill level

As a brand new Land Rover owner I am still grappling with some of the fundamentals and would like some advice on a really silly query. I have a 1985 LR 90 with power steering. The power steering reservoir seems to be a very early one (and not as indicated in the Haynes manual) and I have fluid flowing all over the engine because I don't know how full it should be.

Basically, there are no level markings on the reservoir so I have filled it up to the top. The fluid therefore spills out the top while driving. The last owner seemed to do the same and I figure that too much fluid is better than too little.

Would anyone be able to advise on this point?

(The reservoir is a metal type with metal screw on lid and a rubber seal below the lid.)

Many thanks!!

John

Hello John, welcome to LR4x4, almost the best Land Rover website on the net - second only to LRA :lol:

If there's no markings on the side of the reservoir canister, then you should/might have a dipstick as part of the filler cap.

If neither, then fill 2/3 and you would be near enough.

Les. :D

As a brand new Land Rover owner I am still grappling with some of the fundamentals and would like some advice on a really silly query. I have a 1985 LR 90 with power steering. The power steering reservoir seems to be a very early one (and not as indicated in the Haynes manual) and I have fluid flowing all over the engine because I don't know how full it should be.

Basically, there are no level markings on the reservoir so I have filled it up to the top. The fluid therefore spills out the top while driving. The last owner seemed to do the same and I figure that too much fluid is better than too little.

Would anyone be able to advise on this point?

(The reservoir is a metal type with metal screw on lid and a rubber seal below the lid.)

Many thanks!!

John

1 to 2 centimetres above the level of the filter inside will be fine.

As you have found out, you need to leave room for expansion!

Regards,

Diff

Many thanks guys. I'll let it find its own level and then leave to see what happens.

John

Hi John,

It shouldn't 'find its own level'. It is a sealed system. If the fluid is going down, you have a leak. Overfilling the reservoir just creates a mess and will increase the possibility of leaks because there is no room for the fluid to expand when it gets hot or in use. The excess pressure is not a good thing!

Just like any oil level in any other part of a vehicle, whether it is engine, gearbox, axle or whatever, overfilling can be damaging, as can underfilling.

Either drain some out, or remove the cap and draw some out of the reservoir until the level is above the level of the filter (when cold) as has already been suggested.

Regards,

Diff