Petrol in a diesel (intentionally) ?

dave88sw

Hi,

I'm currently trying to get an old 90 back on the road, it's a 2.5 NA diesel and has been sat in a yard for about 7/8 years. I've got it started and it runs quite well but i can't help but worry about the fuel in the tank. It was laid up with a full tank, i've had the sender out to have a peak in the tank and it looks clean and smells fine but it's probably a bit stale. A few people have told me to stick a couple of litres of petrol in as a cheap "additive", are there any downsides to that idea?

Thanks

Dave

Don't do that :) petrol deteriorates with age (goes rancid), but diesel doesn't tend to. The only problem you may have is corrosion of the tank itself, or water/sediment in the bottom of the tank. If there's not much in it, then drain, check, and put it back in. Some diesel injector/cleaner will help, but that's all.

Les

I agree with Les. Diesel doesn't tend to go off, but can get contaminated.

Unless the tank is almost completely full, you will almost certainly have accumulated water through expansion/contraction and resultant condensation build up. If there is water in the fuel, you can get fungal/bacterial growth in the water/fuel interface which forms a black slime. In mild cases you can treat with a biocide (available from marine suppliers) and a few frequent filter changes. Some diesel injector treatments actually include a mild biocide. If severe, then drain etc is required.