congestion charge for 4x4's

Holyzeus

Its quite funny whne you look at the facts. Just seeing the defender as a category III with similar or better emmisions than most modeos makes you realise how much guff is spouted.

Its also about durability for me. Both my landies are approaching 200K and I just can't image some of these small engined cars getting close to that.

• 2 months later...

To revive a slightly older thread - success against the Stalinists today, I have a Resident's Parking Permit:

31012007191s.jpg

For those who don't know, I've just moved to London and I'm lodging in Kensington. (I wanted to take furnished lodgings in Rustington-on-Sea, travelling on to Ashton Under Lyne but it was no-gnu :)). After a three week battle with the council over what constitutes a tenancy agreement and proof of address, success!

My point: I'm living in London and the incentives offered are working to reduce my environmental impact without taxing me into the ground. I can park for a tenner a month and have to pay the congestion charge (at 80p a day) to park the car, but I use public transport to get everywhere because it's quicker and easier. It might be slightly more expensive (£100 in three weeks including extensive travel for work) but I was spending more than that on diesel when I lived in Bristol.

Example: my car was parked in Harrow at a mate's house. I got the tube up there at 6:30pm, 45min journey. I drove back at 7:30, after the peak, it took just over an hour.

Consequently I can drive what I want to, minimise my CO2 by making only long journeys or offroading and enjoy the lifestyle I want. If public transport doesn't work for you in London, it won't anywhere.