congestion charge for 4x4's

Holyzeus

BBC news was for once quite balanced and just stuck to the facts. Red Ken was spouting about 4x4's though - no doubting what his agenda is.

Mind, having been driving round London at the weekend, I wouldn't run a big car anyway if I lived there... Although I'd run a 4x4 or a people carrier in preference to a lower car of similar size simply for the better view of hazards.

Spent the last couple of days down there working. I hate the place :( . This morning it took an hour and a half to do 10 miles in my van :angry: .

Before now I've taken a wrong turning & ended up in the congestion charge zone and had to pay the charge :angry: . They dont make it easy to pay either, first you need to find somewhere to pay then you've got to park. without been clamped or ticketed.

Rant over

BBC news was for once quite balanced and just stuck to the facts. Red Ken was spouting about 4x4's though - no doubting what his agenda is.

If you saw the first version I don't think so, it used the headline "increased charge for 4x4s" or something similar and then had a few more references to 4x4 in the article, along with the real information that it was aimed at emission levels.

I can only assume they had a number of complaints and changed it. It might as well have said "increased congestion charge for blue cars" since it had about as much relevance to 4x4ness.

BBC news is really starting to p***s me off with this slant on the stories.

I'd suggest submitting a complaint about the earlier headline used.

EDIT:

In fact I have just submitted an official complaint:

"Why did this story originally headline as increased charges for 4x4s when the content clearly indicated that the drive train had nothing to do with the charges?

It seems to attempt to justify by saying "The daily charge for vehicles in carbon emissions band G, which includes some 4x4s, is to rise to £25 from 2009."

I'm sure it includes some blue cars as well, why not have a headline of "Blue cars to pay increased charges", it would be about as relevant.

Is the BBC website a tabloid site, providing spin on stories with your own agenda or a balanced, believable news source? Articles like these and others in recent months lead me to believe that there is some agenda against 4x4s being supported by the BBC with such reporting.

It is clear that you yourselves considered the headline inappropriate since it was later replaced by "Polluting cars face charge rise". I'd suggest you excercise appropriate editorial control and if a member of staff has thier own agenda they leave it at the door of the BBC when they arrive for work."

It doesn't take long so if everyone can get around to complaining about this and all other articles with inappropriate spin about 4x4s perhaps at least the BBC will stop providing a mouthpiece for this BS

If you saw the first version I don't think so, it used the headline "increased charge for 4x4s" or something similar and then had a few more references to 4x4 in the article, along with the real information that it was aimed at emission levels.

I was meaning the TV news, not online (sorry, should have made that clear :) ). They were quite clear that it was about emissions not type of vehicle, and gave example of each category (they went for an MPV for the top band, not a 4x4, too). Amusing, in a black humour sort of way, to see that Hybrids are in the lowest category - nice one Ken, let's encourage environmental destruction...

What are the bands?

Does anyone still know if my Def 110 CSW still counts as a minibus? I seem to remember that 10 seater plus vehicles are counted as minibuses and therefore exempt from the charges!

Glue

Years ago my dad used to drive alot in London and used to drive his 110 down all the bus lanes. Used to get stopped by the law and always showed them a Highway code in his car that stated a bus was a vechckle with 10 or more seat. Got them every time. His arguement was that they charged him as a bus to go across the Hukll bridge so he can drive down bus lanes. :)

Whats £25 if you've got a £10 mil flat in chelsea.Anyway if you don't drive OUTSIDE of the area you don't pay anyway.

Bollox to ken i'd pay it and drive what i wanted.

Of course this argument would stack up, and it is one I subscribe to, however...... this is the very thin edge of a a very thin wedge in Tony's Britain... just wait till a similar type of charge creeps into you local town or village centre......

The next thing you know these types will have banned fox hunting........

heard about this on radio one while out in the car today, they actually managed to get right through the piece up to the final line without mentioning 4x4s :o but referring to 'gas-guzzling' cars, then they blew it in the final sentence :( - still an improvement on the usual efforts though.

as an aside i have to drive in London through work occasionally, if i had to do it regularly i'd rather driv it in my old 90 than the company car (mazda6) since it could cope with the road conditions better. Mind you that's true for most cities i've driven in. I do wonder if part of the increasing popularity of 4x4's is down to deteriorating road surfaces, and i seem to remember a survey or something that said major suspension failures on cars were increasing and that attributed the road condition a significant factor

Yes, i also saw this on the BBC news tonight, they did show a MPV when stating the top band of vehicle would pay £25, but in the lead upto the story, the picture behind the news presenters was a BMW X5. Equally, throughout the report, they edited the voice over to coincide with footage of a 4x4, they especially seemed to like Range Rovers.

I know that the editing and voiceover is put together intentionally to infer things as my sister is a news journalist for Central TV, and she has admitted that all the stations are the same, and its expected.

Sometimes its not what they actually say but what they infer that has the most lasting impression for the general hordes.

Congestion charge or pollution charge?

It started at £5 and wasn't going to increase <_<

It was a central london zone, but now its spreading out west.

Give ken an inch........

Oh, and hasn't he set a great example of how to cut Co2 emissions with pointless / time wasting trips to Cuba!

Note: he says he'll introduce the £25 charge (tax) if re-elected. I think we londoners should show him the door.

Buzz.

just seen the front of the late version of the evening standard, the charge for 4x4's is gonna be £25 from march 2008 was so incensed i couldn't read it or buy a copy. :angry::angry::angry:

The only really good thing to come from all of this is that aunty beeb has FINALLY realised this will not just apply to four wheel drive vehicles.

The headline when I saw it this morning was "4x4's face massive increase in congestion charge" which of course some of them will under Crazy Ken's new proposals.

Tonight it has been moderated to say:-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/6146442.stm

Thank you, there is a God, they have finally got the plot........

Now all that remains is for you Londoners to get the eejit Ken removed from office (yee Gods bring back Maggie Thatcher....)

as an aside i have to drive in London through work occasionally, if i had to do it regularly i'd rather driv it in my old 90 than the company car (mazda6) since it could cope with the road conditions better. Mind you that's true for most cities i've driven in. I do wonder if part of the increasing popularity of 4x4's is down to deteriorating road surfaces, and i seem to remember a survey or something that said major suspension failures on cars were increasing and that attributed the road condition a significant factor

My parents Skoda Fabia had to go in to the dealers for a new anti-roll bar (it snapped) under warranty. They had to wait several weeks though as there was a bit of a queue... Seems that a lot of Polo based cars up round Aberdeen are suffering from this and Volkswagen are having trouble shipping out new anti-roll bars fast enough. The dealers reckonned the problem was increasing with the number of speed bumps in the area.

My parents aren't exactly wild drivers, either :huh:

Following one of the links from a BBC news website, I got to:

vehicle data website

Which tells you the official data about all different vehicles. The interesting thing for me is to search by company car tax, and then click on the largest number. If you then select 'all' for everything else, it comes up with all of the worst polluting vehicles. Yes, the Rangie sport is in there, but so are many many more non 4x4 vehicles. Audi A4, A6 and A8; Citroen C6; some Saabs, and of course all of the really quick cars like lamborghinis and porches.

Just a thought (Perhaps one for SimonR to look into) a hybrid vehicle gets very good press, and I believe free congestion charge. How about bolting a small electric motor onto the front prop shaft, with a car battery in thc back of the landy. A little re-generative charging followed by a little bit of assistance at full throttle would do absolutely nothing to help the planet - would it allow free congestion charge for Landys and Rangies?

The worst diesel is the:-

Touareg 5.0 V10 TDI (313 PS) A6 Diesel 332

followed by -

MERCEDES-BENZ GL-Class (X164) Estate GL420 CDI with 275 Tyres 20" Wheels at rear A7 Diesel 313

TD5 Defender comes in at 299, in equal sixth worst diesel place along with Range Rover and other Mercs.

John