disc brake conversion help please 200tdi

Hi all , after many months dismantling my project chassis welded and painted I planed this weekend to do the Diesel Jim brake conversion on my rear axle, but when I've come to put the hubs on I've found that when the 1st lock nut is fitted and then the tab washer there isn't a lot of thread left to put the 2nd lock nut on is this normal or have I done something wrong ? I've put some pictures below if this helps, any advice would be much appreciated

cheers Ianpost-105423-0-46036600-1439732832_thumb.jpgpost-105423-0-27067400-1439732811_thumb.jpgpost-105423-0-10442600-1439732784_thumb.jpgpost-105423-0-88466300-1439732747_thumb.jpgpost-105423-0-53489500-1439732712_thumb.jpgpost-105423-0-81798900-1439732675_thumb.jpg

Are the bearings seated properly in their races and the first nut tight? does it spin freely? The first nut should be inside the flange of the hub assembly, should the seal not be on the inboard (towards the disc) side of the hub or is it different for this conversion? Looking at your pics the nut is pressing onto this seal rather than onto the bearing. From the disc side it should be...seal-inner bearing-outer bearing-tab washer-locknut-tab washer-locknut.

The "outer" assembly is sealed with the drive member and gasket so shouldn't need the oil seal there.

And copious quantities of grease!

Hi sorry pics not to good, the bearings are seated into the races ok I checked that when the nut wouldn't go on and hub moves freely and is in line with the caliper, the nut is tightened up onto this spacer SAM_0783.JPG

it came out of the drum braked hub as they are the same stub axles I presumed that I needed to fit them back in but I now think that may be the problem. Should I have fitted the spacer out of the drum braked hub or should I have fitted a different one like FTC5421 ?

cheers Ian

Is that spacer the same size as the unthreaded portion on the stub axle? This appears to be the difference between a standard disc brake rear axle stub axle and what you have, are you sure the washer isn't bearing on that oil seal which shouldn't be there?

No Scotts90 you're wright that oil seal shouldn't be there, been a numpty haven't I. Just looked at the tec article and I've done it wrong, I didn't look at the pictures properly, was going off the old hub off the drum brakes with the 2 seals instead of following the article. That spacer is wrong found the one I should have used and ordered some.

Sorry all this is my first project so I suppose I'll make more mistakes along the way and make myself look a numpty again haha

cheers Ian