Skye and Applecross

dailysleaze

After a 9 day tour of the Isle of Skye and Applecross, I can now say it's the most breathtaking part of the UK*

post-18025-0-83722300-1441825920_thumb.jpg

*When it's not raining and there's no cloud, with enough wind to stop the midges.

We had 2 days of the most appalling weather i've ever seen in the UK, then the rest were quite good.

Had some good days walking, cycling around Glen brittle, the old man of Storr, Dunvegan castle, Portree fish + chips with sea eagle boat trip, and cramming into the Applecross Inn at dinner time. We camped every night except one. The squelchiest campsites i've ever stayed at, although getting the pegs in was really easy....

The road to Applecross is certainly and interesting experience in itself. The sort of mountain road you'd find in the Alps or Morocco

post-18025-0-85140700-1441825922_thumb.jpgpost-18025-0-77170500-1441825924_thumb.jpg

It was an 11 hour drive from the south of england over 2 days. We did 1600 miles total and averaged 32mpg from a 300Tdi 110 loaded up! And a lot of that was second gear full turbo hills. So quite impressed (Although it doesn't beat the record of 36mpg in Morocco).

I can recommend it highly to anyone (but maybe wait now til next Summer) :i-m_so_happy:

I'm very fortunate to be not too far away from this area. The weather can make or break it more than most parts though...

Can vouch for the fish n chips at Portree :) Were you shepherded by Dolphins on the sea eagle?

Edit: Meant to say, if "someone in your party" enjoys a little joint from time to time, nothing chases the midges like it!!