How noisy should a Fuel Injection Pump be?

What does it cost to get a pump roconditioned these days?

Might be worth it for the good feeling inside knowing it's one less thing even if it does not cure it?

I'm heading that way Nigel. I guess I just wanted a few people to help me rule out other things first, but it's kinda pointing to the pump.

How is the fuel out of the FIP?

If there's some restriction internally then it won't flow out like it should.

But we're into the internals of the FIP at this point - I'd be happy to point a finger at it. DIY overhaul isn't impossible, but there are plenty out there who will do it for you.

Now, that I don't know. How could I measure flow out?

One thing I have noticed with my pump is that at some point someone has put larger bore inputs on it the banjo fittings seem to be 1/4" from memory instead of 1/8". It's something like that, and I think that's larger?

Remove the return line and run a short temporary line to a container. Start engine, observe flow.

I can't say I've ever done it with an LR engine, so I'm not 100% sure what normal would look like. I'd take a good guess and say that it's OK as long as it's a reasonable flow and not dribbling out, or full of air bubbles.

• 7 years later...

I was just reading through this old topic, but, like so many similar, there was no concluding post.

I'm guessing 8 years later you may have some more info?

(my 300 is making a racket and I'm trying to work out why!)

1 hour ago, julianf said:

I was just reading through this old topic, but, like so many similar, there was no concluding post.

I'm guessing 8 years later you may have some more info?

(my 300 is making a racket and I'm trying to work out why!)

We fitted a known pump onto Reb78s engine and the noise disappeared. He had the pump rebuilt and refitted and all was fine.