Remachining input shafts

Dave64

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Men!

Just add my two bobs worth to the forum. Have assembled the re-machined/resplined input shaft, have bloke on standby in new year to cut new matching input shaft/countershaft main drive gears. He reckons it's a feasible exercise, and he's a gearcutter by trade.

Have been following the posts, (both here and a few other forums) about the cutting/welding of shafts, especially transmission input shafts. Personally, I wouldn't have a bar of it after seeing what is involved in machining up a new shaft from scratch!

Yes, have seen it done out in the paddock with shafts on tractor PTO's and similar, also seen one let go luckily at only low RPM, still twisted like a banana, again luckily no one too close to it.

Seen quite a few 'bodgie' adaptations (done a few myself) over too many years to count. Very few of them I could say were resounding successes. No doubt, as I have said in a companion posting, someone will have experiences of debogging D9 dozers or something similar with welded/fabricated home made adaptations. I wouldn't like to be on the other end of them!

All the best for the silly season, Cheers,

Dave64