300 TDi Engine Rebuild

keithjh

Hi All,

Am about to start the rebuild of a 300tdi to put in my 90, anyway in the past i have always used Graphogen Lube on bearings etc etc, intend doing so again unless anybody has news of anything better.

If the bores are still good i was just going to re-ring the pistons, question is should i use Graohogen on the bores/rings or not? i have read conflicting advice on this.

In the past i have usually used EP90 to coat the bores rings when replacing pistons.

Regards

Keith

Still using it,the good thing about it is that it will sit there indefinitely,so if you dont run the engine for a long time after building it,it will still be protected.The graphite does tend to make the oil dirty,but its a good product.No problem in using it on piston thrust faces or rings.

I've always built up my engines "dry", just as they do at the factory. It's a lot less messy for a start; clinically-clean-and-dry parts are less likely to pick up dirt/dust during the assembly process.

There's much nonsense talked about the importance of lubricating the parts as you assemble them, turning the engine over on the starter to get oil-pressure before going for a start etc.

If you're storing a rebuilt engine, the correct answer is to pack the ports with some "Vapour Corrosion Inhibitor" paper [the brown stuff you find used to wrap bearing-sets, piston-rings etc packed in].