Decat the easy way, or a stupid plan?

ronnie_rotten

I've got a pipe with a cat sat on the ground here, and it struck me that the might be a quicker and cheaper way to decat a pipe still on the truck.

I fully accept this may be a stupid, flawed and or foolish plan.

Cut the cat out with a reciprocating saw and replace it with a clamp in section? Do people do this or is the bend in the pipe too close to the cat to get a decent grip on the pipe?

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=131371120653&alt=web

Cut the cat out with a reciprocating saw and replace it with a clamp in section? Do people do this or is the bend in the pipe too close to the cat to get a decent grip on the pipe?

This is almost what I did.

I actually fitted the pipe onto the truck to make the cut during my engine swap.

Cut out with recip saw, and butt weld a plain section in.

I measured up the new piece of pipe with it still in place, tacked it in then removed it to fully weld.

This way you can be sure your de-catted pipe will still line up perfectly ?

As I was chopping V8 pipes, doing one side at a time meant a few fittings and removals.

That would be a neat and undetectable solution!

The thing is, I don't weld well. I can tack stuff together but I'm no pro.

The only reason I was thinking of a clamp in section is I could avoid undoing any bolts at all by cutting the cat out and then clamping in a new piece for less than 40 quid.

I know the proper job is to swap out the pipe for an early one, I'm just considering alternatives.

Why not de-cat the cat instead?

I did several, remove, carefully slit it open, gently ease innards out, seam it back up and it is like putting Vicks in the intake lol

Just be careful of the innards, theyre highly toxic and carcinogenic. I've seen suggestions on other sites to put a broom handle up the cant and beat it until the innards come out, this is a really bad plan!

Why not de-cat the cat instead?

I did several, remove, carefully slit it open, gently ease innards out, seam it back up and it is like putting Vicks in the intake lol

In my case I was fitting D1 3.9 front pipes to my 110.

A simple issue of interference between the cat and the loom running into the chassis would have resulted in a de-smoked loom

This came out

post-7124-0-95020300-1453901264_thumb.jpg

So this didn't melt. See how close the loom is. The cat on the RHS is very tall so as the clear the prop.

post-7124-0-17043400-1453901270_thumb.jpg

Added this in place of the cat

post-7124-0-89718500-1453901275_thumb.jpg