200Tdi cylinder head

Re the EGT gauge.....Red90

Its a Saga 2.0s. Bought it ages ago, just never got around to taking the manifold off to drill and fit it.

A bloke at work (who knows his taps and stuff) told me 1/8 TP was the Jap equivalent to BSP (British Standard Pipe I think).

That was the part number I found too (eventually) the ones I took out were definitely 10mm though

10 mm spanner for the bolt heads. 8 mm diameter threads... Are you saying yours are 10 mm threads? Hopefully not as the bolt goes through the rocker shaft. Oil flows along the shaft. A larger bolt would be a bad idea.

Re the EGT gauge.....Red90

Its a Saga 2.0s. Bought it ages ago, just never got around to taking the manifold off to drill and fit it.

A bloke at work (who knows his taps and stuff) told me 1/8 TP was the Jap equivalent to BSP (British Standard Pipe I think).

Japan uses BSP and they call it PT (not TP) although it should properly be called JIS.

1/8" NPT is 27 threads per inch. 1/8" BSP is 28 threads per inch.... Should be able to tell with a thread gauge, if you are careful.

Red90.

Re Rocker bolt.......It was 10mm spanner I was referring to. Pretty sure you are correct with the thread size, certainly was narrower than the head.

Re the tap...... I did mean PT not TP, so that should read- 1/8 PT

Got the head back now, and what a nice clean head it is (Gmmmph ffnarr). No way can I put that back on the filthy block, so had to clean the block and the rocker cover yesterday. Blinking tipping it down with rain today, so rain stops play. Tomorrow hopefully!

Question though?

In the Landrover workshop manual it doesn't mention putting any gasket sealant/hylomar on the head gasket when you install it. Is that right? I can see it's not an ordinary gasket, so is that why?

All back together now and running again, a few minor hiccups with the rebuild, but soon sorted.

Even the EGT gauge system is working. Not sure what would be a normal temperature though. When idling it sits about 200 degrees. The highest I've seen so far under heavy acceleration was about 250-270 degrees. It hardly moves off the stop. I'm wondering have I put the sensor too far away?

The sensor is in the uppermost part of the steel down pipe.
I was advised not to try and drill/tap the cast manifold, hence I put the sensor as far up the down pipe as I could get it.

Had it out for a longer run yesterday, at a sustained 70mph it sits about 350 degrees.

• 3 weeks later...