Series III Ignition switch

Outrage

Hey all,

Bought another series III diesel and among the other problems it's got is that the ignition switch doesn't turn the starter motor. It's a bit strange but the barrel may have been messed about with as the 3 positions are:

1 = Nothing

2 = Instruments etc on

3 (spring return) = Glow plugs.

I believe it should be:

1 = Instruments etc on

2 = Glow Plugs

3 (spring return) = starter motor.

Questions:

Can i remove the ignition switch and open it up to look at the contacts or will it shoot springs in all directions? Or am I looking at a new unit?

Does the steering lock have any bearing on the electrical contacts or is it purely to lock the column?

Has anyone got a part number for a complete unit? Its got the steering lock and the engine stop lever built in.

My other option is to leave it be and fit a seperate starter button that's only live when the key is in the ignition and turned to position 2. Can anyone see a problem with this?

Cheers in advance,

Lee

I would fit a push button switch to operate the starter. Its a cheap and simple solution and you shouldn't have any problems.

In fact, my SIII diesel had a push button for the glow plugs and the key operated the starter. I think it was to do with the MOD changing SIII's to diesel rather than the original petrol.

I would fit a push button switch to operate the starter. Its a cheap and simple solution and you shouldn't have any problems.

In fact, my SIII diesel had a push button for the glow plugs and the key operated the starter. I think it was to do with the MOD changing SIII's to diesel rather than the original petrol.

Hi James, think this is the way to go too - don't want to spend too much on this temporary runner, it's got some smoke issues that are no doubt going to cost a packet to solve anyhow!

Cheers,

Lee

its probably cheaper, quicker and easier to change the engine rather than repair it

Hi Tonk, where's the best place to find a replacement 2.25 diesel engine? Phoned round a few places and reconditioned units are unbelievably expensive!

Ta,

Lee

What he said - it's hardly worth fixing a 2.25D unless you're doing a restoration.

Although that does mean there may be a few cheapies kicking round (eBay etc.) that have been removed in favour of 2.5's if you really like going slow :D

Look at it this way - for the price of getting the 2.25 rebuilt, you could have a 2.5 or even 200TDi. Or a V8 :ph34r:

What he said - it's hardly worth fixing a 2.25D unless you're doing a restoration.

Although that does mean there may be a few cheapies kicking round (eBay etc.) that have been removed in favour of 2.5's if you really like going slow :D

Look at it this way - for the price of getting the 2.25 rebuilt, you could have a 2.5 or even 200TDi. Or a V8 :ph34r:

Yes Lads i'd tend to agree that the 2.5D is the way to go, i've got one in my lightweight and it's definately a better engine less rods/cables etc stuff to mess about with too. The problem is getting one that's going to be in better nick then the one i've got.

Cheers,

Lee