Kent Off Road Club Punch Challenge

Mark

Went to the Kent ORC fun punch challenge today, and had an excellent time! The event was designed as a punch safari type thing, with 30 punches which were split into the 15 'Drivable' and 15 'Winchable' and were aimed at all levels of skill and vehicle. After the rain we have had for the last couple of days though, the site was very wet, and very muddy!

The site is pretty heavily rutted, which meant we spent quite a lot of time getting caught up our diffs, but it was non-competetive (ish) so people were more than happy to give a helping tug or pull with a winch as and when required. All in a very friendly lot.

After my premature exit from the forum punch challenge at Bures, this was my first real opportunity to use the winch in anger, and I was very impressed. We did some long pulls up steep slopes, and through some quagmire that my tyres just wern't touching the bottoms of the ruts in, and it pulled all day without fault. Glad I did the brake modifications to stop the circlip disappearing! We lowered out and winched in for quite a lot of the day, and it behaved faultlessly.

Only took a few of photos, but here is a taster:

Attacked this backwards, lowered in and winched out:

306946728_b07f54a56c.jpg

This was the next one, the punch was in the middle of the bridge:

306946730_014291534b.jpg

My biatch for the day doing whatever it is that they do:

306946742_1f2c182d47.jpg

I know there are a few KORC people on here, so hello to you chaps, thanks for an excellent event.

Cheers

Mark

Hi Mark, thanks for your comments, I'm glad you had a good day.

The weather conditions did make it very difficult to get around, but theres lots of plans in the pipeline to improve and develope the site to make it even better. I think 5 vehicles managed to get all 30 punches, which was really good going, with the first vehicle collecting all by 13:15!

Cheers for coming, and hope to see you again soon.

Buzz KORC Marshall

My biatch for the day doing whatever it is that they do:

You'll find out when the rolls reverse as and when we get the RR back on the road!!

All in all an excellent day though! Lots of deep water sludgy stuff that we managed to stay clear of for most of the day, but inevitably ended up in a couple of puddles!!

Was good to learn a lot about the basics of rigging winch lines at a non-competitive event! I know that sounds silly, but I think there is an awful lot that could go wrong if you are inexperienced and are trying to rush to finish in a set time!

Anyway, there are some photos on this link for you all to peruse, including a few of Mark getting tugged out of a hole rather vigorously!! I'm sure more will follow!

Adrian

Anyway, there are some photos on this link for you all to peruse, including a few of Mark getting tugged out of a hole rather vigorously!! I'm sure more will follow!

I didn't get tugged out of that many holes!!! I had to tug my self out of most of them! :P

:D

Mark

Mud plugging at Flimwell

Glad you enjoyed the site. If anyone is interested in Hiring it for their club, please PM me and I'll pass your details on - alternatively log onto the following website and contact Chris who is managing the site for the owner.

http://www.southcoasttrekkers.com

Last weekend in Feb is already booked out - to SLSLRC (L2B Crew)

Its the intention to open Flimwell up for 'pay and play' days - hopefully filling the space in the calendar where Rusper used to be,( alongside Bures, Grand Canyon and Slindon,) as well as allowing anyone who wants to hire the site - use of it - 4x4's, Quads, film crews, female mud wrestling etc,.

Flimwell was originaly exclusive to the TwinAxle.com club. Whose members include Jim Marsden, Chris Ould and few others from the Winch challenge scene.

Two other TwinAxle members - were we think the only ones to get all the punches at this weekend's event, before anyone else. http://www.twinaxle.com

The site also boasts an onsite Motel, Toilets and campsite.

I was there yesterday assisting Chris on site (wearing the short sleeve viz) , and taking lots of pictures - some for the next incarnation of the website but mostly for my entertainment and festish ooohhh mud.........

Hey, how come they've chopped my head off on the front of TOR this month, and got a full shot of Brendon Hughes-Hill (Can I have my spare viz back now Bren?) not so bad on P.33 though. Got some great video that day - availble under the counter in a brown envelope......

Cheers

Peter

Glad you had a good day. Was hard work setting it up but very enjoyable.

i was supprised more motors didnt get stuck in the carpark!

Oh and if you wrer wondering yes that is me sliding down the hill in the second pic (whilst tryingto take pictures myself).

Edd

Yeah, the waffles had plenty of use, but my problem was more to do with driving along the ruts than getting out of them (although that also proved tricky!)

No complaints, as it gave me some excellent (and much needed) winching practice. :D

Oh yeah, and we came 11th out of 30, which I was more than happy with!

Mark