Newest image of the next Defender ??

tuko

I know of at least one person using this forum that has actually seen the new defender, and it has been confirmed that it isn't like any rendering yet posted.

Seems good confirmation it does exist then! I remember reading a senior company exec. saying a little about it too. Definitely coming, would appeal to die-hard Land Rover users, might use Japanese pattern six-stud wheels, would use little 2 litre 4 pot engines (petrol and diesel if I recall correctly), would not look like the DC100.

In a perfect world, the styling would at least use round headlights and a tall, squarish build rather than the bland, oriental look of other new models (except the Evoque). I'd be surprised if that happened, as wind resistance/fuel efficiency dictates otherwise. I'd also be surprised if suspension wasn't independent but that doesn't have to be a bad thing if done with off-road use in mind.

Interesting to speculate but I am glad I found a straight, early 110. I prefer the technology of that era, personally.

Am I the only one that looked at that picture and wondered how I could redo my fleet training package to include how to recover that thing with a high lift jack?
I hope it's got diff locks or brake pads a foot thick for the traction control to eat through. Not a problem in the UK now we don't have any opencast mines left but when we did we could go through a set of pads in a week sometimes.
I despair at the thought of the Defender replacement and that we just don't have the expertise in the country anymore to build anything worthwhile.
I hope I'm wrong. Maybe I'll just keep buying Toyota.

Speaking from someone who lives half a world away from the U.K., I'd say some of the best automotive expertise in the world is found there! However, they're all in it to make money now (it just costs too much to develop something just because you like it) and the marketing department will strongly dictate what's done.

I believe it wouldn't matter if they continued to sell small volumes of a proper Land Rover at a loss, though. That's because the heritage behind the current range could get lost if they don't make one serious "truck" and the heritage must help people sign those cheques.

Am I the only one that looked at that picture and wondered how I could redo my fleet training package to include how to recover that thing with a high lift jack?

I hope it's got diff locks or brake pads a foot thick for the traction control to eat through. Not a problem in the UK now we don't have any opencast mines left but when we did we could go through a set of pads in a week sometimes.

I despair at the thought of the Defender replacement and that we just don't have the expertise in the country anymore to build anything worthwhile.

I hope I'm wrong. Maybe I'll just keep buying Toyota.

You've hit the nail on the head there. 4WD training, accessory fitting, and any other headaches a fleet buyer has to deal with will probably get worse with a curvy plastic body. That's why the old design was such a hit for so long, let down by the drivetrain and various quality problems. At least with flat panels you can bolt on autotune mounts or shovel holders without having to laser-cut a complicated product to suit a curved surface.