Series 3 1977 109" - Head Gasket just failed?

Bradshaw

Hey Guys,

Whilst waiting for my spare parts from Paddocks to arrive after buying transmission brake seals after advice from a previous thread - I found copious amounts of oil in the radiator & Overflow/Expansion tank.

But no water in the oil?...the engine is still cool, no overheating, according to the guage - & it has a 74 degree thermostat in - even in Malta where it is 30 degrees plus at the moment it is not overheating.

The engine is not losing hardly any water (2 days monitoring) & oil is still fine - a little white & black smoke on startup. but goes after 2 minutes.

Just a bit confused as  obviously could be the HG but also could it be a block issue?

I live in Malta so getting a pressure/leakdown test in not an option!

Thanks Guys

Si

Does sound like some kind of oil to water gallery failure. Oil pressure will be higher than the cooling system pressure, so it could trickle in. Unless you're running some kind of water cooled oil cooler, it's difficult to see how oil might get in the cooling system otherwise. Pull the head and look? They're simple creatures! You can make a decent pressure tester out of a spare radiator cap and a bicycle pump, though. 

There is clearly a failure between a high pressure oilway and the water system - the oil is at higher pressure than the coolant and so heads one way.  You only get water in the oil if the leak is from the water system to a low oil pressure area, like a crack in the bore abeam the cooling jacket or a head or gasket leak into the valve push rod apertures which also act as head oil drains.  Unfortunately, you can't tell whether the fault lies in the gasket, head or block without removing the head.  A gasket failure should be apparent, and is easy and cheap.  If you can't see a defect or marks on the head or block deck, then you'll have to take the head for pressure testing.  If that comes back negative, then you'll have to leak test the block, which is a big pain in the back side.

Hey Guys,

Well over the last 2 days I have done my first ever diesel 2.25 head gasket replacement (only done 2 in my life - 1st was a 998cc Mini, 2nd was this Landy!)

With the help of the threads on this forum, YouTube, Haynes & a lot of patience - I attempted it.

Once i release all four seized injectors, recovered the copper washers (2 deep on 1 & 4 cylinders) plus the nightmare corrugated bottom washers, stripped head nut, loose hotspot, & cleaned all the block & head mating surfaces - I couldnt really tell where the oil was getting into the water system as the previous gasket was composite & just broke apart - unfortunately the only head gasket set I could find locally at short notice was....Britpart non-re-tourque type (yeah I know) 

Needless to say after re-assembling carefully, re-torquing the gasket dry (it said this in the workshop manual about composite - non retorque type - installing dry) I have a very small oil leak from the head gasket no, but no oil in the water - the leak is from the front left of the head behind the water pump.

I have torqued the head down cold to 90ft/lb - in 3 increments - 60, 80 & 90 using the sequence stated - could I risk just a little more, or just pull the head again & get a decent gasket (which type would you recommend & from where - remember I live in Malta!)

Just in case I am trying to get one locally from an authorised Landy place - rather than the unauthorised ones!

Copper or composite? - dry or with some type of sealant?

Also the oil leak was from the same place as before!

Thanks Guys

Si