Cleaning a rag top

Hazy2016

Hoping for some help here gents, a few months ago I bought a 1973 Lightweight, I've been working on it with my local garage (who used to race Landys) but I'm at the point of sorting out the roof.

It's been garaged for about 18 years and hopefully it should be completed in about another week, but I'm unsure about the best way to clean & protect the roof!

There are no holes in it and it's pretty clean, just a few dirty bits, which I was going to clean off with soap & water, is this the best idea? and how should I treat it to make it waterproof? I'm guessing it's not 100% now!!

Sorry if this has been covered before, I did scout through to save peoples time, but could see much other than avoid Thompsons?!!

Thanks again

Edited by Hazy2016
Spelling mistakes!

I've used hot water with a load of milton and a scrubbing brush on a mohair hood to remove green algae from it.

Fitted a new canvas hood to the 90 a while ago and it leaked like a seize, a liberal coat of Fabsil applied whilst the roof was dry has worked wonders, the water beads up on the top now. Dont get it on plastic windows, it makes them go milky.

There are modern silicone products and also a traditional waxy sort of turpentine-smelling stuff I've used which works well. (Sorry, I can't remember the name.) You have to get the canvas warmed up and then you brush this stuff on and it sort of melts into it. I would guess that over there you might find it at camping shops or horsey places. It makes a Land-Rover smell like it should, too! 

Sorry, I just realised I only answered the second half of your post. Yes, soap and water a a scrubbing brush should do the trick. I seem to have a dim memory of using just dish detergent. Lots of rinsing and lots of drying before sealing it with whatever you decide to use and the canvas will be in great shape.