Timing Belt tensioner

Hi everyone

I have a Turner 300TDi 21L (from Disco I think) in my 1996 110 and I'm preparing to do the timing belt.

I asked a supplier about a kit and they've asked me if the belt tensioner has a lip on it or not (even though I told them it's a 21L).

Is there a definitive answer based on the engine code, should I ask Turners or would I need to wait till I can see it?

Thanks

Update: I got a very fast response from Freida Turner at Turner Engineering and she told me that whenever they rebuild an engine they fit a crankshaft gear with the shoulder. So that's what I should see when I open up. There are two idlers though and she couldn't help me with that. So I do need to wait and see what I find.

She also said "there was never an actual issue with the timing equipment. Shredded timing belts were due to overtightening of the fuel injection pump bracket which would pull the front cover out of alignment. The later fuel injection pump type bracket with sliding joint is intended to reduce the possibility of front cover distortion".

I've no idea if my pump has the later bracket either. I won't get chance to look for a few days. When I get the front cover off I'll see the condition of the belt anyway.

If anyone has any further information on pump brackets or idler types, that would be useful. As I said, my engine is 21L and not fitted into the vehicle till 2003 according to the records I have.

Hi Les, yes it was a confusing comment from them (LR Parts). I'm assuming that the crank sprocket has the lip now I've heard from Turners but I don't know the difference between the two idlers so that might have to wait till the cover is off.

Can you recommend a kit with good quality metal parts? Dayco belts seem to be included and I'm happy with that but not sure about the other parts.

It's getting more complicated, as now I've found that there are two kits. STC4095K which might be STC4095L now - this has a new timing belt cover. The other is STC4096K which doesn't have the cover. Can anyone tell me the difference between these two covers so that I know where I'm going next?

Otherwise I will have to do the strip down before ordering which isn't really a problem as I don't need the vehicle everyday but I'd rather re-assemble quickly than wait.

Thanks

Thanks again Les. I have seen that write-up in the archive but I also saw one discussing using a lipped tensioner with the lipped crank sprocket. I suppose if I have the old crank then I will have the lipped idler. If I buy the kit it will have the lipped crank so I guess I have a choice of idler.

The confusion is that there's a modified cover and if I don't have one, I don't know what the newer one does differently and how I identify mine. Is this an issue?

I think I will go for this kit.  which has the lipped crank / no-lipped idler and add the front seal and the dust seal. If things look wrong when it is opened up then maybe I'll be able to see.

Edited by Peaklander
got tensioner mixed-up with idler

Yes did that last night. Added the O-ring and a couple of seals but i see again that there's two seals to choose from but I don't know why.

Paddocks  are only 35mins away so I can drive there if I can't wait for a purchase in the post.

The reason for doing the belt is that I'm changing all the hoses for silicone and I'll remove the rad and inrercooler to give them a good flush. With the timing case right in front of me and not being sure when the last change happened, I think I should do it. It's a first for me so I've been studying all the how-to threads including one of yours.

I'm ready to make a puller for the crank, as per yours I think and I need to get 8mm tap. Don't even have a set of metric ones. The Series didn't need them!

Edited by Peaklander
typos

No I haven't. I've discovered over the years when I rebuilt the S3 that Britpart sourced stuff can be a problem. I used some of their track rod ends and the nipple fell out of one as I got it out of the box! Also had their brake slave cylinders and took them back for TRW, Lucas or something reputable, can't remember which. Since then I've been wary, not altogether avoiding blue boxes but careful!