P38 - off road

ginger4x4

where are you based?

Winch is best achieved with custom front bumper. LR mount is useless as it sticks out too far. Make sure you put good recovery points in front bumper. It's possible to get a very neat install with good approach angles. Someone like Carl at Digger 4x4 may be a good option as he seems happy to do custom work.

Personally, I think the rear bumper is good as is and can be improved with some trimming of lower section. It's a very solid unit and by modifying rear exhausts you get a good departure angle. If you have a LR tow bar, you can use a Type II receiver as a recovery point or like I did, just simply put a decent Jate ring in for a rear recovery point.

Side bars can be made to bolt on as there are some existing holes in the chassis that work well. Designed well you won't lose any ground clearance and make sure that they come out far enough to account for the curvature in the sides of the RR.

I would recommend that you guard fuel tank as it's vulnerable to being hit and I understand that Southdown 4x4 do diff guards.

Cheers

Steve

some pics..

IMG_1127.jpg

IMG_1134.jpg

Hi to all

I have a P38 and im slowly changing it to become a expedition vehicle however I which to install a winch, rock slides and back bumper....

Does anyone know of a company / individual who can help / manufactures such items

regards

Ginger

Thanks steve

im in Kent would you have Digger 4x4 tel no?

regards

Southdown do a front axelguard, but won't sell their tank guard in the UK.

Bearmach do a simple rear diffguard.

As for the rest, either have a thick wallet or good fabrication skills.

For some idea of what can be done, look here and

on rangerovers.net

There is a thread about making a DII ARB bumper fit without too much work, and it

looks good.

where are you based?

Winch is best achieved with custom front bumper. LR mount is useless as it sticks out too far. Make sure you put good recovery points in front bumper. It's possible to get a very neat install with good approach angles. Someone like Carl at Digger 4x4 may be a good option as he seems happy to do custom work.

Personally, I think the rear bumper is good as is and can be improved with some trimming of lower section. It's a very solid unit and by modifying rear exhausts you get a good departure angle. If you have a LR tow bar, you can use a Type II receiver as a recovery point or like I did, just simply put a decent Jate ring in for a rear recovery point.

Side bars can be made to bolt on as there are some existing holes in the chassis that work well. Designed well you won't lose any ground clearance and make sure that they come out far enough to account for the curvature in the sides of the RR.

I would recommend that you guard fuel tank as it's vulnerable to being hit and I understand that Southdown 4x4 do diff guards.

Cheers

Steve

some pics..

IMG_1127.jpg

IMG_1134.jpg

Hi Steve,

I can remember your truck, i had seen on rangerovers.net

For info, what size of tires are you running?

Did Carl make your front bumper?

For other ideas look at www.rockrover.com not rackrover ;)

Very good job but doesn't send to Europe :(

No Carl didn't make my bumper, I suggested him as I know he does custom work and to a good quality.

Seems that Carl has shut down Gliddigger4x4 for now.

Another place to try is North Off Road. they have done custom bumpers and rear cross members before.

Cheers

Steve

I have contacted all the fabricators I could find via mags etc, mainly using email

but also phoning those that wouldn't answer, and have yet to find someone that

is willing to make stuff for a Range Rover LP.

But that probably has to do with the fact that I (and my vehicle) am in Norway.

Well the crush cans are there to perform a function. This is related to the deployment of the airbag(s).

As the vehicle has airbags fitted and the only safe way to immobilize them is to remove the explosive charge,

and the fact that deployment outside the design parameters can kill a person, then why not keep them.

The crush cans are there as part of the frontal impact absorption. They are there to perform a number of functions, for example energy absorption in higher speed impacts, better pedestrian safety, less damage in low speed collisions (insurance cost) etc. etc.

The SRS deployment is based on 3 sensors. two in the front bumper that measure acceleration/deceleration and a mid mounted sensor for side to side movement. The crush cans are not linked to any of the sensors and the sensors are not dependent on the crush cans for operation.

In a frontal impact the airbags will release if certain sensor conditions are met. In fact, having a solid bumper would increase the reaction time as there is less energy absorption and the air bags would deploy a fraction earlier than a standard bumper with crash cans. It is also true then that there will be slightly lees speed needed to get the same acceleration properties in a sensor as a car fitted with crush cans.

From personal experience I know that you have to have quite an impact to activate the airbags on a P38 RR. It's more than most off road knocks a bumper is going to take. Having the crushcans left on allows a solid bumper to deform back into the bodywork causing lots of potantial damage, especially if it was one with bull bars on.

For this reason, I don't see the point in keeping the crush cans if you plan to off road a lot.

Cheers

Steve