indicator relay

dicsosfa

hi all :)

can anyone tell me if a m reg discovery 300tdi should have a 3 pin or a 4 pin indicator relay as i am trying to solve a problem with my trailer warning light not working ,bulbs ok indicators working on car,caravan and trailer have been told it should have an extra pin for the warning light.

having checked mine tonight and it is a lucas 53988076a 3 pin type

does anyone know the part number for the correct 4 pin indicator relay ?

thanks Roy ;)

It's like this:

- if the LR left the factory without a towing pack fitted, it should have the 3 pin flasher relay

- if the towing pack was fitted from factory or later as a complete kit (the 4 pin flasher relay is part of the kit), it should have the 4 pin relay.

- if the towing kit wasn't exactly a kit, was retrofitted using SH or non genuine bits or whoever fitted a genuine kit forgot or "forgot" to replace the relay then you ended up with the 3 pin version.

- if, regardless of previous three cases, one of the previous owners or electricians working on the vehicle replaced a faulty relay with the 3 pin version then this is what you currently have.

If your LR has indicators in the rear bumper as well (I don't think so) then the PRC8876 is no good as it needs to carry 8 x 21W (+ the rest of the smaller bulbs) and it's rated only up to 6 x 21W. If your LR doesn't have the extra 2 indicator lights in the rear bumper then the PRC8876 should be fine.

AMR4873 it's rated between 4x21W+5W+1.2W and 8x21W+2x5W+2x1.2W so it covers both cases (with/without extra indicators in the bumpers).

Microcat indicates YWL10002L but it has the same ratings as the PRC8876 (only 6x21W + the rest).

It's like this:

- if the LR left the factory without a towing pack fitted, it should have the 3 pin flasher relay

- if the towing pack was fitted from factory or later as a complete kit (the 4 pin flasher relay is part of the kit), it should have the 4 pin relay.

- if the towing kit wasn't exactly a kit, was retrofitted using SH or non genuine bits or whoever fitted a genuine kit forgot or "forgot" to replace the relay then you ended up with the 3 pin version.

- if, regardless of previous three cases, one of the previous owners or electricians working on the vehicle replaced a faulty relay with the 3 pin version then this is what you currently have.

If your LR has indicators in the rear bumper as well (I don't think so) then the PRC8876 is no good as it needs to carry 8 x 21W (+ the rest of the smaller bulbs) and it's rated only up to 6 x 21W. If your LR doesn't have the extra 2 indicator lights in the rear bumper then the PRC8876 should be fine.

AMR4873 it's rated between 4x21W+5W+1.2W and 8x21W+2x5W+2x1.2W so it covers both cases (with/without extra indicators in the bumpers).

Microcat indicates YWL10002L but it has the same ratings as the PRC8876 (only 6x21W + the rest).

The above is and example of what constantly impresses me about this forum - the members who go the extra mile and answer questions with detailed, accurate and extensive information - you know who you are guys - THANKS from the rest of us! :)

hi :)

i have to agree with treesheds its members like these (cipx2) and others with vast kwow how that make it a pleasure to have faults :lol::lol: any how back to the problem my disco has only 2 indicators in the rear bumper its a 1994 model so i can use either :unsure:

again a big thanks for all the help Roy :D