2000ish 110 Van TD5 or 300TDI ?

Ok

I'm starting to look for a 2000ish 110 Defender Van style to do a bit of a camper conversion. I'm going to be doing a good few miles in this possibly 45 a day for work.

I'm selling my Volvo S60 2.4D I'm fed up with computers and ECUs etc

Please correct me if I'm wrong :-

the TD5 is probably what I want in terms of squeezing best MPG out but with added electronics

300TDI less electronics but worse (but not by much) MPG ?

My budget is going to be around £5K from what I'm looked around at this is possible with a bit of hunting and not completely unrealistic.

I had a 2.5NA 1984 90 many years ago and want to get back into the Land Rover thing again.

Is anyone in the Kilmarnock area with a 110 they'd show to me and get a feel for ?

All big asks for a newbie here sorry.

For road work id say td5, for reliability possibly go with 300tdi. From what I've heard, the earlier td5 engines, which a 2000 would be, have been known to be troublesome with things like cracked heads and injector wiring look faults. Possibly looking at your budget you'd get a better tidier 300.

Just my thoughts anyway.

Graeme,

The Tdi vs Td5 argument has been raging for decades and there is no true answer. However the following observations can be drawn that I think most people would agree with:

- There's not much in it MPG-wise, in my experience the Tdi generally gives a few MPG more however so many other factors affect it it's not worth using as a decision factor.

- The Td5 is a far smoother/refined and more powerful engine in standard form, this makes it arguably more suited to high-speed road driving.

- The Tdi is simpler in terms of the engine itself and the electrical system.

- The Td5 has known faults (head dowels, oil in loom etc.) but then so does the Tdi (P gasket, water pump position). All are well documented.

Generally none of these issues are deal-breakers, you are correct to try and drive some to see what they are like. Hopefully someone nearer than me can help you out with a 300Tdi and Td5 vehicle to drive. Find which vehicle you prefer and then buy the best example of it you can afford. Both are easy to work on, both will be identical in most other ways other than engine, and both will do spaceship mileages if looked after.

Big thanks to everyone so far ! Its reinforcing one of the things I missed about having my old 90, which is the friendliness and community of having one.

It also seems like I'm not far of the mark on my thoughts ! Looking at TAX wise again either of these is going to be at £300 odd a year mark unless I'm missing something, I am leaning more towards the TD5, I know its a bit more electronics wise but its going to be a much more simple setup than my Volvo with its CAN bus on everything! and with an investment on the proper code reader etc its all reasonably straight forward.

I think either engine on something in my budget is going to have done a good few miles so any major issues will have been dealt with or less of an issue by the time I get it and would hopefully be more a case of good maintenance etc.

Again Many thanks

Td5, part prices are comparable and it's arguably simpler. I think they drive far nicer. Just a word of advice drive as many as you can no two Td5s seem to be the same some seem to have 80HP some 180HP.

Will.

...Just a word of advice drive as many as you can no two Td5s seem to be the same some seem to have 80HP some 180HP...

That's true to an extent. But the ones with 80hp aren't running properly. The ones with 180hp have been heavily tinkered with, and had £eeeek spent on them!

Ok

so the TDI vs TD5 debate is over for me, I'm on the hunt now for a 2000ish Td5 110 Van @ no more than £5K , Need to sort out a few finances so Hopefully in the next month I'll be good to go. Looking about on them interwebs I should have a bit of a choice and hopefully get something ok with a reasonable MOT as well, if I'm prepared to travel.

Not driven one since my 2.5NA 80's 90 but I think I'm up for it regardless lol. Great Chatting with you this afternoon Phil - Great project you've got going there Hopefully I can help out,

The hunt begins

That's true to an extent. But the ones with 80hp aren't running properly. The ones with 180hp have been heavily tinkered with, and had £eeeek spent on them!

Not exactly, most of the ones I drive are farmers, the abused ones often seen dragging 4 tons go well, the poshos weekend tip run motor with FSH are often sluggish.

I'm talking seat of the pants feeling obviously but you'll see when you start trying them.

I had a 300 TDi for around 7 years and it was pretty reliable, I eventually sold it because at the time I lived in London and the LEZ was being expanded and it was not compliant.

I bought a TD5 to replace it and I'm very happy with it - more torque, a bit quieter and more civilzed!

The only downside is that the TD5 is more thirsty! My 300 TDi could achieve 35 mpg on a long run, my TD 5 does (at best) 27 mpg!

From what everyone is saying the Td5 will suit the amount a type of driving I will be doing, I've taken a look into the engine systems and looks simple enough for me, Just got to get rid of m volvo and sort out finances and then the Hunt proper begins,

• 5 months later...

A bit late but for thread compleetness I thought it good to round this up with saying I bought a 2006 110 TD5 in the end. Very happy with it, its been very reliable used pretty much daily. I'm getting 29-30Mpg out of it so couldnt be happier on that front. Came with G90 tyres fitted and since swapped them out for a set of second hand General Graber AT .Big handeling differance on the road and noise levels massivly improved.

This Year I will try to post more up on the forum on changes and modificaions.