Sereies 2a Gear Box Strip

1800phil

I've been trying to strip the box down on my 2a. I've removed the overdrive with no problems and then started to try and remove the transfer box, I can see two bolts on the inside of the casing which obviously hold it to the main box, but how do I gain access to these? How do you take the gears out?
Also I've remove clutch workings from inside the bell housing and undone the bell housing bolts, but the housing will only come forward about an inch, is it stuck or do you need a special tool to undo the large castle nut on main shaft?
I've searched the net but can't seem to find this info on this, so any advise would be much appreciated.

It's been a while, but I think you have to remove the output housing first, (the thing with the handbrake on it), but certainly the next thing is the idler shaft - that's the one which holds the middle transfer gears in place. You can see it from the outside, and it should have a little rectangular block of metal holding it place. Once the transfer case is empty, then it's pretty straightforward. 

The bellhousing is probably getting hung up on where the input shaft meshes with the layshaft. It takes some wiggling to get apart and is great fun to put back together again! 

You really need the factory manual for this job, which should be pretty easy to get these days on a CD from eBay or similar. 

• Like 1

The bottom cover should be removed for this.  You need to remove the hand brake assembly (remove the drum and pinion flange together if you wish, then the four nuts holding the oil catcher and back plate to the speedo housing).  Next, fit a suitable bolt partly into the threaded hole in the intermediate gear cluster shaft in the middle of the back face of the transfer case and undo the single nut holding the shaft clamp.  

Then, withdraw that shaft while supporting the gear cluster (it's heavier than it looks).  It may be stuck in position through vacuum at its front end, so it may need a fair tug to free it. Have clean card, towels or sheets  to catch any of the thrust bushes and shims or needle bearings that drop as you lower the gear cluster.

With the cluster removed, you'll see more nuts that secure the gear box to the transfer box case.

• Like 1