Megasquirt and MOT emissions

duncmc

Hi everyone.

I have always fancied the idea of one day having a megasquirted V8, but for now I have a question that I think I know the answer to....I just want to ask the more learned people out there.

Right, so I have a 1993 Range Rover with a Lucas EFi 3.9 which has an exhaust cat system from the factory. Its still off the road for a while longer yet.

If I fit a tubular manifold and stainless exhaust it will fail an MOT because of the newish regs not having a cat fitted when it should. I could fit a "mock" cat, but then it would fail on emissions I suspect.

However if i fitted megasquirt as well I could run a leaner map for the MOT to make sure it passes.........am I right with my thinking?

Its just my exhaust looks poor from the Y section back, and somebody locally has a full stainless system at a very good price. I'm thinking buy it, and try to fit the middle and rear sections to the front cat y section. If it doesn't fit go megasquirt.

A leaner map would still put your emissions out of range, as too lean increases your CO, which happens because there isn't enough oxygen to burn the fuel properly, so rather than making CO2, you get CO.....

Limit for CO is 3.5% or something, that's without a cat. By fitting a cat, this CO is converted to CO2 by using any unburnt fuel to do so, which is why cats get very hot, especially if overfuelling :)

Why not just run a cat in the system? There are plenty of universal 'sports' cats available out there, and not expensive either.

Thanks both. Something to think about then.

I am favouring buying the exhaust system as it is and hoping that the rear sections just bolt up to my current cat Y piece and if not go from there. He is asking less than a mild middle box and tail section anyway.