Help requested with 1990 v8 wiring loom diagrams

Ladies and Gents,

First off to say I'm new to the forum, but I really like what I have seen so far after spending a couple of nights browsing the Defender section and the excellent tech archive, so thank you for letting me be a part of it, long may it continue.

Now to business I have a ex military v8 110 that I have owned since 2006, so I'm reasonably familiar with the vehicle and have slowly being doing jobs large and small as they come up from changing light bulbs to engine and GB rebuilds. However the time has come to swap the bulkhead in starting the job I uncovered a snakes wedding of a bodged wiring loom, which is were my problems started....

The tall and short of the following is does anyone know where I can find a wiring diagram for a later 1990 model with blade type fuses? the reason why I after the info are bellow.......

The old loom is a military loom with all sorts of extras on such as feeds for "BO" (black ops???? any one got ideas?) lighting and other feeds I cant identify from the cct diagrams I had available.

A previous owner has ripped out the military lighting control knob in the centre of the dash and rewired without it (by bodging and not labelled up in 240vac cord colour's) and fitted a later style td5 dash in its place.

The vehicle has all sorts of power feeds now fed direct from the battery (via individual fuses and relays) to aux gear including LPG systems, lights, on-board air compressor clutch, stereo ect. the ones fitted buy me are all logged and labelled but the others are a mess.

Finally on removal it was found the wiring is shot with cracking insulation ect so a fire hazard.

So after looking at the above I've bitten the bullet and bought a auto sparks main loom (civilian) for the model year and chassis No. very nice quality it appears to be too. I've also purchased a additional aux fuse box that I plan to run anything that isn't required for the actual running of the vehicle from for the extra carp off a second battery.

I've tried to find wiring diagrams that match the loom I now have fitted, the ones I think I've found for a 1990 year model appear to have around a dozen cartridge (round type) fuses fitted but my loom has 20 blade fuses of which No 19 & 20 fuse ways don't appear to be used.

The only other wiring diagrams I have found are for 300tdi onwards models from around 1997 on a RAVE???? (anyone know what that stands for) document.

I've had a mooch through the tech archive and unless I'm being blind cant find a diagram for models in the period 1990 - 1997 so would anyone have one available or know of where one could be found? (the kind with all the wire colours, additional optional ccts and connection block positions/details if possible)

Does anyone know of the part No for the fuse box detail sticker for the above type loom

If I understand correctly the land rover main looms come with wiring in place for quite a few accessories even if they aren't fitted at build, if I could use these for some of the accessories fitted already rather than a separately fed aux fues box I'd quite like to, so next question....

Does anyone know if the wiring for the following is already in place on a dash loom?

Front fog/aux driving lamps.

Stereo (power feed at the least)

fag lighter

forth instrument feed to the dash, and what is it normally ( far right one of mine was blanked off till I put a RPM counter in)

split charge system

rear heated window

air con

internal light cct for use with door switches

Finally can anyone tell me what the cct with a double fan logo is meant to be in a defender fuse panel.

Any help with any of the above (even if just a small part of it) would be most gratefully received.

Many thanks in advance.

Do any of these help?

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=89916&page=4#entry779229

The V8 & Diesel share the same main harness, the engine loom just plugs in, wiring colours are the same for the same bits if that makes sense - starter is always white/red, temp sensor is (if memory serves) green/blue, etc. etc.

90_to86_diagram.jpg

LandWwireDiag_print.jpg

Mr Freezer,

Very many thanks massively helpful advice that explains a few things, although I've seen these diagrams before, I'd previously discounted them as wrong for my motor as the fuse box is the one with 12 fuses not 20 odd I have, so I assume it was the early cartridge/ceramic/glass (what you call the small cylindrical type fuses) not the same as mine with the blade fuses. I'd also discounted it as I had assumed the 12J engines were oil burners (which is what the diagram is marked up for) and the cct would differ somewhat to a V8 vehical.

However, you've said the wire colours remain true across models as does the basic loom as its used on both petrol and diesel, so I've had a mooch round the loom with the aid of the above diagrams and found indeed that I have wiring for glow plugs (useful on a rover V8) so what you've stated is very true so, so I have most of the basics, I only now have to find the diagrams for my model year not V8 specific for the details.

I think the Haynes manuals for Defenders covers the 1990 year but only diesels hence why I had discounted looking at those diagrams before, so me thinks I go read some books tomorrow and see if the diagrams bear resemblance to my new loom and if so problem solved.

So very many thanks for that I truly never thought it would be the same main loom in all engine types, would make sense though as I assume it would cut production costs only having to manufacture a single loom for all defenders!

If I find some decent diagrams for a 1990 year I'll try and post them on here.

The RAVE manuals (which last time I looked were available for download free via various people's websites) should contain later diagrams - but for the most part the wire colours will always line up for the common items (indicators, wipers, etc.).