Discovery 2 fitting 15" wheels

Td5-gtr

Hello.

i am new to Land Rover ownership (happy days!) but not new search engines and have tried looking for a answer to this but couldn't find anything. Could be the way I'm wording it but anyways so i thought I'd buy myself a td5 to Potter about in around town and to have a bit of filthy fun in it occasionally ? .. so far I've lifted it 2" . HD front bumper and got a difflock kit on order. Some new wheels also arrived today which I've been eager to put on (in the dark and the rain I might add, I'm like a big kid when I get deliveries and had to be fitted tonight. Or we'll I hoped anyway.) 

They are 15" and when ive tried to fit them my initial worry was there being enough room in the arch ... not the brake dust plate/cover which stopped me getting the wheel on the studs. 

Question is do do I need to trim/remove these plates or are mine just not aligned properly? As I seemed to have space at the top but not at the bottom.

any help put my way I'd greatly appreciate it.

thanks

aaron.

The brakes were designed around 16 inch wheels being the minimum, so maybe it's not a surprise the dust shields foul the 15 inch wheels. I'm amazed the caliper body / pad carriers don't too. Maybe the original clearances were designed so that small stones etc didn't jam between wheel & brake when off-roading.

With the smaller wheels, you'll always run the risk that small stones could jam in between.

You could remove the shields & try again, checking to make sure the caliper housing / carrier has clearance with the wheel & that the various steering link joints clear at full lock & suspension lift / droop.

Sadly the clearances are too tight even with 16 inch wheels on. I have regularly seen cases when people cannot get their wheels off due to mud building up on the wrong side of the disc guard so the guard catches on the mud and the wheel cannot be removed until it is cleaned.

Presumably if somebody makes 15" wheels, they can be fitted, otherwise there wouldn't be much of a market for them!

Rim size doesn't matter for arch fitment. What size tyres are they?

I have seen 15" rims for sale for a p38a/D2, so I assume they must fit, else it would be an odd thing to sell.

That said, the PCD for a p38a/D2 is not the same as a Defender, RRC, D1. So make sure you have the right rims. I'm not sure, but I think the D2 and p38a also have different centre bore sizes.