Bore Honing

Andy

As some of you may recall i started to replace the rings in my disco 200Tdi a few weeks ago. well ive finally carried on with it. pistons are now cleaned up, block is cleaned up, head is cleaned up etc etc etc im ready to hone the bores & stick it all back together.

here we come to the problem, i know you hone the bores to remove any glazing. BUT how do you know when they are honed? ie - when do i stop? what am i looking for?

My tips are:

Slow(ish) drill speed and lots of up and down movement.

Aim for a 45 degree cross hatch pattern.

Use plenty of WD40 during the honing process and then CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN the bores.

Use lots of WD40 and a lint free cloth to do this.

Not sure what you mean by sequence Andy, as there are just two nuts per big-end. 200TDi big-end cap nuts should be tightened to 59 nm (44 lbft). I would do it in a couple of stages though - say both to 35nm and then both to the final figure.

Les.

i ment sequence as i didnt know if they have several tightening figures or anything. hopefully it'll be back together tomorrow, might even be running.

cheers for the info.

any change of a pic or 2 of your honing? just out of curiosity.

I'm a honed bore virgin. :blush:

im a virgin to it as well mate, hence all the questions. if i remember to take the camera with me i'll stick a few pics up. when cleaning the pistons up i found 1-2mm of coke behind the upper rings and about half that on the lower ring. oh plus two broken oil control rings.

top of the pistons had a solid 'glaze' of what i assume is SVO under the injector area, should have got pics of that too shouldnt i?

well its together and running again. i suspect most of the poor running was down to two broken glowplugs. they'd spilt between the body & the element. so the combustion gases could leak out through the plug.

ahh well we live & learn at she seems to run nice and smooth now.