Transfer box leak LT230

Hi,

The transfer box on my Defender does have some bad leaks (sea image). I've replaced both front and rear oil seals + flanges. Using quality parts and new flanges. The rear one is fine, front not sure if that's the evil one... The unit is a replacement one build by Ashcroft. Mileage 20.000 miles / 32000 km. As it's diificult to find the leak hopefully some one can advice e.g. which other seals or gaskets I bshould check / or do normally devellop leaks. Or any other ideas to get rid of the leaks?

Checked the breather pipe and that one is OK.

Cheers

Marco

post-2702-125103237223_thumb.jpg

Hi,

The transfer box on my Defender does have some bad leaks (sea image). I've replaced both front and rear oil seals + flanges. Using quality parts and new flanges. The rear one is fine, front not sure if that's the evil one... The unit is a replacement one build by Ashcroft. Mileage 20.000 miles / 32000 km. As it's diificult to find the leak hopefully some one can advice e.g. which other seals or gaskets I bshould check / or do normally devellop leaks. Or any other ideas to get rid of the leaks?

Checked the breather pipe and that one is OK.

Cheers

Marco

It looks like its coming from somewhere above the gearbox mount, which narrows it down to the upper end of the gearbox gearbox / gearbox extension / TB gasket, the assorted difflock / low range / gear selector orifices, or the TB rear cover.

What is the highest point you can find the oil?

(edit: add gearbox oil filler to the list)

Thanks, guess you are right. Cleaned underside today. Could it also be the o-ring on the intermediate shaft or the seal in between the main box and the transfer box? (as illustrated). Not sure if those are normal leaks?

Cheers,

Marco

post-2702-125111467439_thumb.jpg

The left hand circle id the end of the intermediate shaft and mine leak like the proverbial

after doing the other seal twice(waste of time)

Tony, did you replace the o-ring on the intermediate shaft and did that solve the problem?

Cheers

Marco

Tony, did you replace the o-ring on the intermediate shaft and did that solve the problem?

Cheers

Marco

I was told by one of the garages that Ashcroft use that the trouble with the intermediate shaft is that eventually the hole where the o ring sits at the end of the shaft can elongate. i think it was something to do with the power going down the driveline, jarring the shaft occasionally and creating this oval type hole. If its oval, the o ring cannot seal it properly and so the only solution is a new transfer box case or take the box out and repair the old case with an insert. Mine leaks a tiny bit from here, but not enough to worry.

One other thing, but this is probably too low on your box is that the bottom bolt beneath the intermediate shat area which through the gearbox housing into the transfer box actually goes into the transfer box cavity - or the hole does. If the thread on the bolt is a little 'loose' there may be a slight leak down this bolt.

Thanks, that bolt (at my box it's a stud & washer + nut) does leak / is covered in oil. But not sure if that oil is coming from above or through the tread of the stud as the whole section from intermediate shaft to bolt / bottom cover plate is covered with oil. I presume it's the shaft + probably the hole in the casing being oval...

I've send Aschroft a message, maybe they have a short cut / remote instruction how to sort this one. Being a recon box with 20k it should not leak IMO (leaking since 15k or so but getting worse).

Cheers

Marco

• 5 weeks later...

No I did not fix the problem. Will have to take out the transfer box to get to the shaft seal. In the mean time I fitted an alu sheet + piece of foam underneath the transfer box, like a nappy to be replaced every +/- 1000km.

Cheers

Marco