Power steering belt Tensioner

I had the same problem a few years ago.

Rather than replace then tensioner I changed the pump mounting bracket (item 12 on Westerns diagram) for a later version that allows the pump to rotate on the braket (and hence tension the drive belt)and removed the tensioner pulley. I also needed to change to the corresponding size drive belt (which is smaller since there is no tensioner pulley).

MW

Got it thanks!

i GUESS i CAN JUST REMOVE ITEM #9

I had the same problem a few years ago.

Rather than replace then tensioner I changed the pump mounting bracket (item 12 on Westerns diagram) for a later version that allows the pump to rotate on the braket (and hence tension the drive belt)and removed the tensioner pulley. I also needed to change to the corresponding size drive belt (which is smaller since there is no tensioner pulley).

MW

Got it thanks!

i GUESS i CAN JUST REMOVE ITEM #9

Yes, but Item 12 does not 'swivel' to tension the belt. Later power steering setups have a no. 12 front plate with slots to allow the pump to swing to tension the belt.

When I tried to get one a while ago, the plate was listed as no longer available. I keep meaning to hunt for a second hand one. In the meantime, I took the tensioner off and drilled a small hole in the thin centre cover on the engine side and pumped some grease in it. I cleaned the area and stuck a bit of duct tape over the hole. I regrease it about twice a year, and it is still going 3 years later.

Regards,

Diff

I have the plate off of the 200tdi which has the adjustment, I'm going to try and fit that, I just need to get the belt.

Does anyone know a belt number, as a cross reference(non L/R)part

Thanks

I recently fitted a Dayco 13A0725C to my 200Tdi which has the same adjuster plate.