Diff Ratios

Hi

I think im right in saying that 300Tdi defender and disco diff ratios are the same (3.54 : 1) so they can be interchanged after changing the flange.

Are the diffs the same for TD5 discos and can they be swapped into my defender axle?

Cheers

Tris

All coil sprung landrovers have the same ratios, its just the splines that vary either 10 or 24 spline.

To check the amount of splines whip out a halfshaft and count

and it doesnt matter if a diff goes in the front or rear axle you will still go in the same direction

Disco 2 diffs are the same! axle tubes are different. the usual donut will need to be changed on the rear diff though. (i used to build diffs for kam) any disco 1 later than 1993/4 should be 24 spline, ALL defenders 1994> (90" front and rear and 110" fronts)are interchangeable with your 300 tdi.

And P38 diffs fit RRC/Disco1 axles.

Eerm no they don't ;) P38 diffs are a short nose diff and rrc/disco 1 are a long nose diff. they have a different bolt pattern and the diff centres have different crown wheel offsets and end flange size.

P38 diffs or 'short nose diffs' are generally the same unit as fitted to 04> 110" defenders rear axle. The 110" axle tube is identical to a normal 90"/disco 1 axle tube but for a different bolt pattern for the diff and a 15mm thick ring and 8mm thick diff pan.

Steve :D

so you cant replace the crown wheel in a defender diff with one from a p38?

No. Not unless you cobble a kind of hybrid diff together, but it's really not worth going there! Land rovers own HD pin diff uses a p38 center in the the standard 'long nose' type diff housing, but this has differences to the standard p38 (machined end flange) It also uses a unique crown wheel and pinion set up - a long nose pinion and a thin short nose crown wheel.

The main differences of a long nose standard disco 1/rrc/d90 diff to a short nose p38 type diff are the following:

Standard type has:

Longer housing,

longer pinion gear,

Thinner crown wheel due to different offset of the end flange,

different bolt pattern.

Hope this helps.

Steve

• 8 years later...
On 3/22/2011 at 7:36 AM, Off Road Toad said:

Disco 2 diffs are the same! axle tubes are different. the usual donut will need to be changed on the rear diff though. (i used to build diffs for kam) any disco 1 later than 1993/4 should be 24 spline, ALL defenders 1994> (90" front and rear and 110" fronts)are interchangeable with your 300 tdi.

Can I put a D2 diff into my td5 defender ??