V8 Conversion Rad/Fan tips

RPR

I have trawled through the archives here and a few other sites and gathered info from a number of sources and feel that we are pretty ready for the V8 impland to start in a couple of weeks.

One thing that remains unclear for me is the pesky issue of clearance between rad and water pump and the fitting of electric fans.

The engine is a 3.5 carbie out of an '82 2 door RRC (obviously a grey market import) with 70,000 miles on it. The problem is that I really don't know Rover V8's having always been a 4 pot sufferer, so I am not sure whether this has the "short" water pump housing or not and the one thing I do know is that one never has the right cover/housing at the right time...

I have been looking at various electric puller fans, but the slimmest depth I have found is about 4" and I am not sure how much room we will have to play with.

Anyway - advice most appreciated.

Cheers,

There are about 4 or 5 different water pumps fitted to the rover v8. Suggest you post a picture, but you'll almost certainly have to give it a nose job, and cut the fitting for the viscous off.

Fans wise I ran a 16" kenlowe pusher in front of the rad, but it was never reqally up to the job. I ran a flexi fan bolted to the water pump and this made the world of difference. They're made by people like Flex-a-lite or moroso in the states.

However I'd have to say that the series radiator is really on its limit trying to keep a V8 cool so I'd investigate alternate radiators so wee what else I could get to fit in!

HTH

Jon

I got 16 inch Mercedededses fan itted infront, got from scrappy and this is the largest diameter you can get in fornt of radiaotr.

You can fit bigger radiator but the limit is the steering relay - there is some diesel LR jobie that will go & is bigger; I have a shogun(?) that I didn't fit that (wiht hindsight I should have instead of spending money on oil cooler) takes up the maxium area avaialabe. SAt the very least you need a 4 core series and in good condition.

I also stuck a 13 in fan on the back mainly to help push air to vents in the bonnet.

w. pumps - many flavours - the short nose is on Rover cars I believe, p6 & sd1 but is a different shape to RR. From different conversion I have spied, not too are the same :rolleyes: it makes a difference on the adapter/gearbox houseing I guess since some engines are fruther back, higheer etc.

The plan at the moment is that I have a new 4 core rad coming.

If I understand you, a 16" fan cannot fit behind the rad as a puller because it's too big from a width/height perspective, or is it depth ?

All the 14" - 16" sized electric fans that I've looked at come out around 4 - 4.5" deep. I take it there will not be room for that ?

I was hoping to get a well shrouded 16 " puller fan on as well as the @ 15" on/off pusher fan that I have now. I take it that you don't think the puller will work ?

On the subject of oil cooler, I have one on the 2.25 now (military 2.25 model). I had imagined that I could transfer that to the V8 set up, but I guess there may be a question of capacity/flow through ?

Cheers,

On the subject of oil cooler, I have one on the 2.25 now (military 2.25 model). I had imagined that I could transfer that to the V8 set up, but I guess there may be a question of capacity/flow through ?

Cheers,

Series FFR oil cooler is designed to be used as a bypass type so it wont have the flow capacity required for a full flow application. :rolleyes:

a) a 16" fan cannot fit behind the rad as a puller because it's too big from a width/height perspective, or is it depth ?

B) All the 14" - 16" sized electric fans that I've looked at come out around 4 - 4.5" deep. I take it there will not be room for that ?

c) I was hoping to get a well shrouded 16 " puller fan on as well as the @ 15" on/off pusher fan that I have now. I take it that you don't think the puller will work ?

a) depth is ths problem. you will find the water pump spindle, on whcih the fan would sit on, is more or less central to the radiator; this is where you want your leccy fan to be to the body of the motor gets in the way. I did look in having a fan driven by an offset electric mtor by a belt but more hassle & cost.

B) yep the motor is quite deep. you can get more shallow motors, facet/pacet, but to have the same ommp it becomes bigger in diameter so the blades swept area is less; in my case my rear fan is not cetrally mounted, but in top left corner - that part of the raditor is not blown by the front fan and it is there to help puch air to the bonnet vents.

c) not sure if having fans covering the same area of radiator in front and behind is the most effective solution; I would suggest staggering them; but no reason why not to five it a try. When neither is running, the fans may interferee with air flow for normal forced cooling when driving.

a lot of this is trial and error; whatever you do, make sure the fna is as close to the radiator as possible and fit cowls to direct air flow through the radiator

Depth is the problem. The front face of the water pump pulley on mine was about 1/2" from the back of the radiator. Even makes it difficult for an engine driven fan.

I'm not a fan of electric fans period. I much prefer a decent engine driven one.

Jon

• 2 weeks later...

The 3.5 EFi has the shortest nose, but this will mean changing the front cover also.

Why when V8 yank motors are 10 to a dollar are you going for the rare(ish) rover v8?

I would go for the Chevy or Ford engine :)

I use a Vaxhaul fan on mine, with a new rad and so far so good.

It has a cool running thermostat and a manual switch for the fan so I watch the temp like a hawk!