Fuel Consumption

ltwt1981

hmm, not quite the same but my Manual 200TDi Disco has averaged a smidgen under 35mpg over the last 5000 miles or so I've been noting it. The scarey bit is totting up even at 35mpg how much you've spend on derv in those months. Must admit I'm well chuffed with it though and far better than any company car I've driven.

Can't imagine a 300 wouldbe much different.

I keep really good records of my fuel consumption in my 1995 Auto 300.

I drive about 45 miles per workday 50-60% on the M25 and pootle about at the weekends. I have a heavy foot as well sometimes, 70mph when I can on the motorway etc, race milkfloats at the lights... that sort of thing.

On average I get 435mls out of a tank (that is an average of 74lt) over which I have averaged 26.6mpg however my normal average recently is ~28mpg as the stats are skewed by some breakdowns and onetime when a feul pipe broke, plus after redex and some 'quality' fuel being put through it (I realised the Shell garage near work was consitantly ~2p cheaper then Sainsburys near home) I think things have improved a bit.

To marvel at my work see:

Fuel Stats

The shaded squares are calculated as I has a glitch!

Stephen,

pretty comprehensive. Here my effort:

Odo	Inc	Trip	Litres	MPG
512	512	64.00	36.37
156449	421	421	56.00	34.18
156926	477	476	62.62	34.56
157395	469	465	63.28	33.41
157871	476	476	60.54	35.74
158356	485	484	60.54	36.34
158848	492	492	62.43	35.83
159255	407	407	64.32	28.77
159755	500	500	66.21	34.33
 4233	559.94	34.37

You miles per tank seemed almost as good as mine so I was wondering if my calcs where wrong but I see where I tend to only put in 60ltrs your filling with nearly 80ltrs most time. Does the 300 have a larger tank?

Hi all,

I run a manual 300Tdi & keep accurate fuel records. Over the 48,000kms I have owned the vehicle I have averaged 28.0MPG in the old terminology.

The best I have had is about 34MPG & the worst about 23MPG. I have checked my speedo & it is accurate also.

Cheers

Bruce Hinson

Discovery 300Tdi

Thames, NEW ZEALAND

> Pretty comprehensive

You should see the graphs! ;-)

Its interesting to see what other people have got out of their motors. I dont think I have ever gone over 30mpg on a tank, but I guess the fact that its an Auto with a dash of A/C probably explains it.

Im glad Im not the only one that has a spreadsheet!

Just my 2p's worth.

I've just worked out on my 200tdi with r380 box on a run i can get around 600 miles.

so by filling from flashing light to full is around 72 litres gives about 38 to the gallon.

235/70 road biased tyres

drops to 550 to the tank doing the daily commute but still not too bad

clunk

I`ve just done a check on my 300 manual....normal driving (at max 70-90km/h) and 4 long 150km stretches of motorway at 130km/h with (air con on all time this last week).....equals 28.5mpg in old money....no roof racks or suchlike and running BF Goodrich AT`s

Don't forget on standard 235/70/16 tyres most discos are over reading on the speedo speed - so your miles travelled will be inaccurate - and might explain why some people seem to get "remarkable" consumption.....

Just my pennies worth - as I have just changed to 235/85/16s and will see how it changes - my speedo was at least 5 mph over now 1-2 mph under using GPS measurement.

JDB

Don't forget on standard 235/70/16 tyres most discos are over reading on the speedo speed - so your miles travelled will be inaccurate - and might explain why some people seem to get "remarkable" consumption.....

Just my pennies worth - as I have just changed to 235/85/16s and will see how it changes - my speedo was at least 5 mph over now 1-2 mph under using GPS measurement.

JDB

If you don't mind me asking JDB, what age/spec is your Disco. I'm considering going for bigger tyres, but was concerned with the inability to change the speedo drive to alter the speedo reading.

Apparently speed on 235/85r16 is 11% away from the 235/70r16

Mine is a 97 300 tdi ES - not sure if you can get it re-calibrated?

I just measured all the regular speeds (30,40, 50, 60 & 70) against the GPS and just ensure that I know what the difference is - for mine it is a couple of mph under reading at 70, but I guess this will depend on individual tyre design, wear etc that affect the diameter.

(I'm using BFG Trac Edges with +2" lift, modified rear arches and adjusted front bump stops).

Hope that is of use.

JDB

"The best I have had is about 34MPG & the worst about 23MPG. I have checked my speedo & it is accurate also."

..... As quoted above mirrors precisely my fuel consumption experience with my 200 TDi manual 4-door Disco over 14 years.

Frankly, I don't believe that a Disco can achieve 38mpg in any normal, everyday driving situation, unless perhaps someone lives in East Anglia or Holland, and is driving at 45-50mph all day in 5th gear.

Eliminate the tyre errors, the normal overreading speedo/odo error even with the recommended-size tyres, and I reckon some of these absurdly good figures fall off the cliff. Also, you can't assume that when the warning light comes on, there is ever a consistent capacity required to fill up.

- Richard

Mostly I just fill our 200TDI with £15 at a time but this years August hols in Scotland produced a very accurate brim to brim figure over several fills and 1,300 miles.

33.9mpg overall. Really pleased with that as we were loaded with two adults, two kids and a dog... plus full holiday kit filling the loadspace for the 800 miles to and fro (Cambs to Kintyre). Speed kept sensible and never over 80mph, mostly 65-75mph on motorways.

Remember this includes many steep/long hills on the route plus lots of gears/hills on the 500 miles touring once there.

Road tyres and no roof rack.

Pretty good for this size of vehicle at 12yrs old and 145,000 miles!

David

Eliminate the tyre errors, the normal overreading speedo/odo error even with the recommended-size tyres, and I reckon some of these absurdly good figures fall off the cliff. Also, you can't assume that when the warning light comes on, there is ever a consistent capacity required to fill up.

I originally wanted to work out the best way to work out consumption and the only way I could figure it out is to brim fill each time, only that way can you work out how much has been used.

Precisely, but that doesn't eliminate errors caused by non-standard tyres. Even standard tyres will generate some error as the tyres wear down by 7 or 8 mm new >old.

Never rely on a 200TDi fuel gauge - it typically doesn't move off "full" for about 150 miles!

- Richard

• 4 weeks later...
I am thinking of getting a Discovery 300Tdi as an everyday car, I would be interested in peoples fuel consumption, and in comparing manual with auto before taking the plunge. Thanks.

hi, i get 447 to the tank on my 300tdi driveing around town and the m/way at 50mph

Normal driving nowadays with no autoroute runs gets me about 1000kms per tank....

So XR650 gets about 620 ish miles to a tank.

I cant see my mileometer being 'that' far out as to make so much of a difference.

only things i do are change gear at about 2500 ish rpms, i generally drive at about 55 - rarely take it to 70+ for long periods, change the oils regularly and bung a bit of veg oil in the tank as a weak blend (helps keep the soot down!)

i recalculated that during my working week commute i get around 500 from the brim to the light, but this still works out at around 33-34 mpg

clunk

and whatever anyone says to the contrary i'm still more than happy with that!

• 4 years later...

hey there iv been finding that my 94 300tdi with r380 box is doing only about 21mpg but she is a high miler 259k and still go's like a train when needed im a lazy driver regarding gear changes always too higher gear although M/way never push faster then 60 and run extreme mud terrain tyres 235/70/16 so same as factory so speedo is right and sat-nav verfiy this think its about 87quid to fill tank 75L at 115pence give me 350 miles before she coughs sorry for rambleing lol