TD5 intercooler into 200 tdi disco

nathan

After placing a wanted add for a Td5 intercooler I got to buy one from which was delivered yesterday.

This afternoon I got to take a look at what was actually involved in fitting it into the front of the 200 tdi Discovery.

After removing the grill and headlight surrounds I offered the 'new' ic to the front of the car and from this was able to determine how best to proceed with the fitting, it was obvious it wasn't going to be as straight forward as first thought.

The front panel to which the bonnet closes is supported by 2 braces going from the bonnet catch diagonally to the bottom of the small panel where the horns are fitted. I unbolted both of these bars and removed them.

Next after offering up the ic again I decided that the right hand horn had to be removed completely as did most of the metal the horn bolts to. Out came the grinder, I think this picture shows what I used it for.

1000209smallve4.jpg

The right side had to be cut away as this picture shows to clear the inlet on the ic.

1000211smallgh5.jpg

On the left hand side the horn was reversed and only a small amount of trimming was required.

1000208smallqg3.jpg

There is now sufficient room for the 'new' ic and when the standard ic is removed i'll be routing the pipework through the vacated area.

1000210smallac7.jpg

Now a plea for help as i dont own a welder and need some brackets fabricating. Is there anyone reasonably close to me that would be prepared to help me with this part of the upgrade please?

Gotta get me some silicone hoses now and sone straight pipe so that the plumbing can start.

If you can help us out then please let me know.

Where is "Tipton" by the way?

Jas

You mean you've never heard of Tipton? :P

Where the railway crossings are closed for 48 minutes in every hour!

The home of the Tipton Slasher and Pork Scratchings!!!! :D

The centre of the world famous Black Country!

Its 1 mile from Dudley, have you heard of there????? ;)

think i said it elsewhere, looks almost as large as an aftermarket IC. i'd fit it as high as possible so the bumper isnt blockin any of the air flow. also if you offroad it, it may slightly reduce the amount of mud that gets to block it.

in fact looking closer its wider than my aftermarket IC so the surface area probably is about the same.

The bottom of it will sit just about level with the top line of the bumper, its actually too wide to drop betweenj the bumper brackets.

Keep the suggestions coming though as I really do need all the help I can get.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to my brother in laws to weld up the brackets to moount the i.c and to have a mooch at the pieces of stainless tube he had in his garage.

Firstly I got the 2 90 degree silicone elbows and put them on the new i.c and offered it up infront of the radiator. To keep the ic as far back as possible i cut approx 1.5 inches off each elbow @ the ic joint. I also took the same amount off the other end of the elbow for the inlet side.

On the front chassis legs right where the bumper mounts to the chassis we measured and made some 80mm longx10.5mm internal diameter tubing for locating the 2 lugs on the td5 i.c.

I had bought some 90 degree steel brackets for 60p each and these were cut down and welded to the underside of the front panel where the bonnet catch is, the ic bolts to these brackets.

The front locating lugs on the ic were cut off too.

We removed existing i.c and cut down its plastic cover to give access into the engine bay down the side of the rad.

A piece of stainless comes from the outlet side of the ic diagonally across the front of the radiator and bends into the engine bay and uses the stock top ic hose.

The inlet side uses the stock pipework from the turbo going into a u bend then into the silicone elbow on the ic.

Finally the front grill required very minor trimming of its inside to all ow it to fit.

heres some pics