Half Shaft Play Through Stub Axle

Hi Folks,

Had to acquire a new front axle tube for several reasons.  Anyway, tube acquired and began stripping the old axle to recover the diff and hubs/half shafts.  I unbolted the complete hub assemblies where the stub axle meets the axle tube, and withdrew the entire hub complete with half shafts still in place.  Placed the hubs assemblies on the ground (wheel nuts on the ground) half shaft facing directly into the air.

After a bit of sludge removal, I had a fiddle with my shaft, and noticed a very significant amount of play, where the half shaft passes through a seal into the back of the stub axle.  Microcat tells me that the halfshaft passes first through FRC4319 (Axle Assembly - Stub Front Suspension) and then FRC3099 (Seal - Stub Axle).  This is the first time I've ever removed or seen this part of my defender, and I'm sure its not supposed to have any significant play. Boths side are similar, but I've uploaded a video showing the O/S assembly, which can be viewed on the link below

https://goo.gl/photos/zM9Uify7dCzvDQdg9

Could I trouble any of the more learned among you, to take a quick look and give your opinions please.  I should also point out that the when I drained the diff pan, the fluid could be best described as black custard.  I guess it's become an emulsion of diff oil/one shot grease and water, which is leaking in through the duff seals.

Appreciate any advice.

Edited by k2sul

There will be play with it all apart like that. The half shaft is supported by bearings in the diff. There is no bearing in the back of the swivel ball - and waggling the shaft will ruin the seal. There is a bearing in the stub axle but that supports the small shaft outboard of the CV joint to the hub drive flange.

Edited by simonb