Front Wheel Negative camber

Hi 

I've just put my new tyres on my rebuild and noticed my front passenger side wheel is leaning in at the top a fair bit. All my steering arms and bushes etc are brand new, but my axle ( bearings, swivel etc ) are from the original defender (bought as project) so aren't new, as the idea was to drive it and see what needed doing. There a little play in wheel bearing (rocking wheel 12/6 o'clock) but nothing overly drastic. I've read anything from swivel bearings to bent axle as causes. Is there a sure way of finding out as I don't want to do the bearings and find out axle is bent. If so are axles able to be bent that easily.? Just wondering if anyone has had similar problem etc.

many thanks 

thanks for reply, well funny u say that the guy I bought it from raced defenders (not sure he raced that particular defender) so any way I can measure to make sure it's a bent axle. And would a 300tdi disco axle fit a defender, as I have a spare one. Many thanks

I'll not say what make they are but I have seen some (two) after-market swivel housings bend after a heavy landing, on both examples it was hard to see any damage until the ball was removed wherupon small cracks could be seen inside. On both of them the seals leaked a fair bit and the owner had filled with one shot grease.

I have an early original 90 axle where the front wheels appear to have -ve camber  and its not the axle tube - I suspect one or both swivels are damaged but just swapped the axle as I was refurbing a Discovery one anyway for expediency

So I suspect 'bent balls' are reasonably common.

Thanks For reply gw8. Funny u say that the swivel hub is leaking so maybe it's actually that (I hope) so I guess the only way in finding out is to take the hub off and inspect? 

I know it has had a hit at some point after looking through me photos and the front steering bar on that side has a bend in it, 

Many thanks

I've put a (2ft) straight edge vertical on the bolts (we're axle meets swivel joint) at either side of the end of the axle, to see if there any variation, as I can't see any physical damage of the axle (no ding/dints etc) I've just measured the distance between the tops and bottoms of the straight edge, and there exactly the same to the mm. I done that as if there any damage it would be exaggerated over the 2ft and then I'd know. So I presume the damage is at the hub end?