Fuel gauge not working

I swapped the 2.5TD engine for a disco 200tdi in my 1988 - 110 soft top LHD (not driven for 6 months) but now the fuel gauge isn't working anymore, stays at empty. I searched for a solution on the forum and found out that I need to look for a black/green wire. I can find it at the fuel tank, I also checked it in the dash, but can't find it anywhere in the engine bay :( I tried to follow it from the tank but I get lost at the tail lights.. Anyone knows where it should be in the engine bay? Or is the sender stuck after 6 months of not driving?

the engine swap shouldn't have affected the fuel gauging wiring,if the loom has not been moved or disconnected, more likely a dead sender unit, the wiring from the sender goes across the rear of the tank, to right rear corner, then through the chassis to the engine bay multiplugs, it should be possible to find the green/black trace wire there & ensure it's connected to the matching main/dash loom socket, maybe find the required wire, disconnect at both ends, carry out a continuity test to prove the wire is OK, if not just run a new wire from the sender to gauge along the top of the chassis rail.if the wiring proves good, replace the sender unit.

I had a similar problem and accidentally solved it after months running without the fuel gauge reading, just check the wiring immediately next to the fuel filter there should be a thin black wire with a large eyelet on it should be screwed to the bulkhead but after I removed the filter completely from the bulkhead to do a seperate job and found this wire tucked away in the wiring, screwed it to the bulkhead and hey presto the fuel gauge worked I must have missed it some how when I did the engine swap last year, hope this helps

Edited by Cornish Rattler

• 4 weeks later...

The black wire is still connected to the bulkhead so that's fine. I cannot find the black/green wire in the engine bay at the multiplugs.. Just to be sure, I will connect a new wire straight from the dash to the sender, if that works then it's the original wire, if it still doesn't work, then I will replace the sender.

Edited by Koen110

• 3 weeks later...

Found the problem ....

We had the idea to disconnect the black/green wire from the sender unit and hold it to the chassis, to see if the fuel gauge would go all the way to full, to verify if the cable is still OK, but when we did that, the fuel gauge did not move, but the Parking brake light lit up ^_^ So it was clear that there was some weird wiring.. Went into the booth and apparently we switched the connectors for parking brake and fuel gauge, they have almost the same colors and have the same layout :lol: FIXED!