Discovery engine won't stop

Johnnydiscovey

My Disco 06 will not cut off engine unless I shut off lights. I can shut off and take key out. It still runs. The second I switch off lights, it stops. Any ideas? I have a leak from sunroof down on the passangers footwell. Had some cables rewired as suspension fault were constant and navigation stopped working. 

The stop solenoid will only require little current to keep it open enough to let enough fuel through to idle. Step 1 is when it is doing this to remove the feed to the stop solenoid at the stop solenoid and prove this is the problem. If this is the case, the stop solenoid is getting a small leakage current and it may not be the lighting circuit, it could be anywhere as electricity is fickle stuff!

Let us know if it stops with the feed removed.

Cheers

Peter

• Like 1

If your Discovery is an 06 it will be a TDV6 and therefore won't have a traditional fuel stop solenoid, it will most likely just stop telling the injectors to fire.  It sound to me like you have a corroded earth somewhere, the engine ecu might be earthing via the lighting circuit.  It's difficult to say where the fault could be, it's obviously not ideal having the sunroof leaking into the car as parts of the main loom run under the plastic trim on the sills and any connections within that section quickly corrode and fail. 

• Like 1