Dartmoor - Something for the kids

Hi Folks,

Looking to plan a wild camping trip with the kids on Dartmoor along with some climbing.

Thinking it would be great to throw into the mix some off road in our 1997 Defender 110.

Nothing too adventurous as not really done anything much off road at all. Sluggie is also way too shiny for thorny narrow lanes. Just looking for something that the kids would find fun.

Please could folk recommend some routes/sections/etc....

Many Thanks,

Simon...

P.S. Including myself as one of the kids along with my 9yr lad and 12yr daughter.

Edited by simonpelly
Submit too early

• 4 weeks later...

Funnily enough I'm looking at planning the exact same thing with my kids, though probably even less adventurous with a Freelander, and a 4 year old and 6 year old... Will follow this closely, as my initial cursory research hasn't led to too much result yet.

Mind you I only got her a few days ago!

You'll only find greenlaning in South Devon, which are thorny, narrow lanes(!) There's a couple on Dartmoor but they're pretty tame and over in a matter if minutes. It's not really the location for offroading. There used to be a pay and play site at Trago Mills, but I think it's closed now.

Sounds perfect for a freebie then ?

I know there was one not far from Crealy, not researched if it's been tro'd or downgraded yet though. And there's plenty of not suitable for motors roads kicking around too - I got my company Sportage stuck in mud to the bottom of the door sills for a weekend until a friendly farmer from down the road dragged it out with his Massey.

• 2 months later...

Not sure if I’ve seen this too late but I’ve done a variety of lanes round Devon. There’s one or two nice ones on Dartmoor that aren’t scratchy. The one next to Crealey is fun but can get overgrown and the water can be deep at times, depends what you’re taking through there!

Richard