Bertone/Daihatsu gearbox. How good?

o_teunico

Hi all,

I have been lucky and local scrapyard has recived a vvv good Omega with the six pot bmw turbodiesel. Can have the engine for just 250 eur.

I was looking for an ex p38 r380 for installing it into my 88 along with the Omega engine, but they are pricey and the Borg Warner transfer will force me to rotate diffs in axles.

Now theres another option, as local scrapyard has available a Bertone Freeclimber, wich is basically a facelifted Daihatsu Rocky with BMW 6 pot.

I will use a non tuned Bosch VE6 pump, so just 120hp and about 250Nm of torque.

Any idea about how good are the Daihatsu gearboxes?

I have found some info on the net.

Gearbox, bellhousing apart, is the same as the one used in turbo f70 type Daihatsus. Ratios are very close to those of the Rover box seen in Series vehicles. Both diffs drop to right as in Land Rovers. Bearings and syncros are easy to obtain for rebuilds but ave not found yet the max torque this box will tolerate.

Screenshot_20170626-145202.png

Daihatsugears.jpg

Yep, I have already thought on that.

If they give me it at a reasonable price I will go forward with this project.

I have been reading some south american forums, where Daihatsus seem more popular, and its a good and strong box. LT95 style design (main and transfer box in same cssing) and only faults are Land Rover style leaking seals and output shaft nut tendency to become loose.

This box will survive a Ford 302 V8, and even a Chevy 262 4.3 V6 with a three speed GM SM318  as a doubler. Thats about 750 Nm of torque at the input shaft (vehicle from Chile, seen at twistedandes).

No handbrake in box is not a problem, as I want to run a clocked LT230 from the Bertone tranfer.

DSC02094.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

This week I have visited again the scrapyard with a measuring tape. Box is 4" shorter than my current LT85+LT230 and front and rear output flanges are 10" closer together when compared tp LT230, so perfect for a SWB application like mine.

IMG-20170704-WA0005pq.JPG

IMG-20170704-WA0006pq.JPG

IMG-20170704-WA0007pq.JPG