LT230 ATB

Why would you be concerned with the Eaton for a Salisbury?  Unless you have at least 700 hp and 42" tyres, you will not have a chance of harming it.

I've run a TrueTrac for a decade and I know people that have had them for 30 years.  I've never seen one issue.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Red90 said:

Why would you be concerned with the Eaton for a Salisbury?  Unless you have at least 700 hp and 42" tyres, you will not have a chance of harming it.

I've run a TrueTrac for a decade and I know people that have had them for 30 years.  I've never seen one issue.

Mainly now because of what I read on here about the lack of thrust bearings on one side making it ineffective in reverse, though that surprises me.  I'd be looking for corroboration on that before deciding, but I do lean towards the Trutrac rather than Quaife just on price.

2 hours ago, Snagger said:

Mainly now because of what I read on here about the lack of thrust bearings on one side making it ineffective in reverse, though that surprises me.  I'd be looking for corroboration on that before deciding, but I do lean towards the Trutrac rather than Quaife just on price.

It is not ineffective in reverse.  It works the same in reverse as forward.  It would just wear out the thrust faces if you drove around in reverse all of the time.  The reverse thrust faces are hardened steel on hardened steel, which is fine, you just do not want that to be the long term continuous bearing surface.  In the forward direction it is hardened steel on white metal.

• Like 1

A FWIW, I ran an ATB in the LT230 in my old Defender and IMO it was well worth the $$.

It takes all of the excess backlash out of the t/case, makes the centre diff much, much stronger and on high speed dirt/gravel improves the handling/steering by eliminating the hunting you can get with the open diff (I dislike locking the CDL on dirt, too much understeer for my liking)

One will find its way into the current Disco eventually.

On 01/06/2018 at 10:53 PM, Red90 said:

It is not ineffective in reverse.  It works the same in reverse as forward.  It would just wear out the thrust faces if you drove around in reverse all of the time.  The reverse thrust faces are hardened steel on hardened steel, which is fine, you just do not want that to be the long term continuous bearing surface.  In the forward direction it is hardened steel on white metal.

Thanks for that.  It did seem an oddity.  Maybe I misunderstood the comment, but I couldn't imagine why they'd be directional.  Disappointing about the none sided thrust bearings, though.  That is indicative of cutting corners or penny pinching, and is perhaps one of the issues that fuelled the negative comments I read over the last year.  Witha unit as expensive as these, they shouldn't be risking the unit's longevity for a couple of pounds' worth of thrust washers.  I'd have to look at the prices of the Quaife and the Trutrac and try to find out how long the Trutrac lasts - it could be a financially better option to have the dearer unit if it can be made to last a good deal longer than the cheaper one just for the cost of those washers.  It just shows the quality mindset of Dave's team, though.