Mazda RX8 seats in a 2a

Cornish Rattler

Hi guys

Originally I was going to fit Def front cloth seat in the 2a with side facing rear cloth seats in the back but the Def seats new or used have shot up and would probably cost about £1,000 used and £2,000 new so I have now decided on fitting some Mazda rx8 front cloth seats instead like the ones I had in the 90 but these will be the lighter none electric manual ones with a cubby box in the middle then for the back fit a pair of bench seats and have some seat bases and back rests made up in matching cloth ( Grey ) as I want to carpet the rear out inc sides and roof to make it more cumfy.

So has anyone else fitted Mazda RX8 seats in a S11/111 before as they are a great cumfy long distance driving seat :) 

You may consider what's under the seat . . . . . . . . Toolbox? Battery? Fueltank? When you install regular car seats it will be quite difficult to reach that being unable to just remove the seat bottom. Personally I'm happy with Defender seats, with upholstery in period (1963) correct Elephant Hide to match the door cards.

Check the thickness of the backrest too. In a SWB you can't move as far back as in the LWB, really limiting your legroom.

1 hour ago, AV8R said:

You may consider what's under the seat . . . . . . . . Toolbox? Battery? Fueltank? When you install regular car seats it will be quite difficult to reach that being unable to just remove the seat bottom. Personally I'm happy with Defender seats, with upholstery in period (1963) correct Elephant Hide to match the door cards.

Check the thickness of the backrest too. In a SWB you can't move as far back as in the LWB, really limiting your legroom.

Yeah on the none electric Mazda seats the seat bases are removable so can get to the fuel tank and battery fairly easy but mite consider a side door for the battery / tool box on this one though

On ‎8‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 9:34 AM, secondjeremy said:

Will you be able to see out or will the top of the screen restrict your view?  Remember Rover raised the top of the screen on the 90's / 110.

Yeah I think so but I don't have any seats as yet to try but I could have a measure up of the Mazda seats fitted to the 90 assuming the Def and 2a's seat boxes are the same hight wise from the floor but I suppose I will have to look at that once everything else is in place as its still at the rolling chassis stage yet :)

11 hours ago, secondjeremy said:

I'm 5ft 10 - so not huge - and the top of the windscreen was close to obstructing my view in my S3 with the pointless factory seat adjusters (Tray which raises the base by about 1 inch)

Lets put it this way - no way did I need sun visors.

Ha I'm 5ft 9 so I should be ok then, no only joking, when I had my last 2a during the rebuild I fitted new std series seats which was ok but I always found myself feeling sat too low then I discovered Def seats which was great and I was thinking of fitting these again but they are just too expensive now either used or new but as I have the 90 with Mazda seats fitted which are just perfect imho and think they would be just as good in a series but I do take on what you said about the screen in a 90 /110 is higher so I will take some measurments first and see if not I will have to do a re-think :)