Seeing Clearly

I'm thinking of removing the glass from my front windscreen on an 85 110, I had a little go at it tonight after reading the manual and thought best to see if any of the guru's have any tips for me before I make a fatal mistake and have to go looking for a new front glass? It looks pretty straight forward :lol: ,that's the part that has me concerned/freaked out.

I'm looking at re-painting the windscreen and bulkhead and would like to do it right, should a new seal be used when re-fitting the glass?

Cheers,

Tracy

Use a new Genuine Parts seal for refitting. Lubricate screen and seal well with standard spray on household window cleaner. Use a cord about 5mm in diameter to pull rubber in - blue polyprop rope will do. Beware if your screen has any chips in it, it may come out ok but may crack on refitting.

New seals are available from any aftermarket LR parts supplier and start at about £15, I have not found they split any quicker than the OE item. Worth keeping one at home in case you have to have a new screen fitted in a hurry as it is never worth using an old rubber, no matter who made it.

Personally I have alweays got a windscreen firm to fit my screens. I have done screens in the past but the insurance covers a broken or badly chipped screen (£40 excess inc' heated screen) and if I want it out for any other reason I speak to my local windscreen firm who will remove/refit them for about £10.

Rimmers are ok but know how to charge, I think they source a lot of their stuff from OE suppliers.

For the seals I have found that the usual suspects (Paddocks, DLS, LR-Parts etc) are all fairly competitive and deliver in a day or two. Like I said previously, I haven't found that the OE or genuine rubbers last any longer than the cheaper pattern ones but there is a lot of difference in the price.

Thanks for the info, I'm in the middle east, so I'll have to wait until I can get a couple of new seals via mail order!

Cheers,

Tracy

would that be paddock, britpart, etc for after market spares?

Tracy

Have you tried Gulf Stars in Sharjah, they seem to carry most parts and are reasonably priced

Tracy

Have you tried Gulf Stars in Sharjah, they seem to carry most parts and are reasonably priced

Jason,

We have one in Musaffah, everything comes from Sharjah, they don't stock anything here, and they gentlemen have a very limited understanding of english, if you take the part #'s in, it's a lot easier. I have mates I work with going to the uk all the time on leave (we do a 56/28 day work/leave rotation) I have picked up a few items on ebay etc. My rebuild is coming along. What type of Landy are you driving in Dubai?

Cheers,

Tracy

Jason,

We have one in Musaffah, everything comes from Sharjah, they don't stock anything here, and they gentlemen have a very limited understanding of english, if you take the part #'s in, it's a lot easier. I have mates I work with going to the uk all the time on leave (we do a 56/28 day work/leave rotation) I have picked up a few items on ebay etc. My rebuild is coming along. What type of Landy are you driving in Dubai?

Cheers,

Tracy

Fair enough, know what you mean about not speaking English

I drive the devils engine according to some, TD5 90, personally I love it, had a few issues but then it is a landie

Do you ever get up to Dubai?If you do let me know there are a few of us who are out in the sand most weekends

Have a look at www.me4x4.com, local club with plenty of knowledgeable guys

Jason