My ex MOD Defender

14Platoon

Thought I'd post a photo of my ex MOD Defender 

currently taking the head off as it's a bit (a lot) smoky at idle. Changing the injectors stem seals and glow plugs, hopefully that'll sort it. It's fine when normal driving, plumes of grey smoke when sat at idle for a time though. 

IMG_2706.JPG

• Like 2

Ive had a few jobs completed since my short ownership. Power steering fitted (as optional in some MOD defenders), footwells re plated rather than the crude military plates. Got to sort out the smokey idle and then fit a new power steering pump. 

12 minutes ago, western said:

have a look at the rocker shaft page in the relevant engine section, IIRC the rocker cover has 3 studs in the top of cylinder head/rocker shaft as well as the 2 bolts

Yes I have three bolts to go through the rocker cover and into the rocker arm set up. Still looks to be one bolt missing. 

14 minutes ago, western said:

have a look at the rocker shaft page in the relevant engine section, IIRC the rocker cover has 3 studs in the top of cylinder head/rocker shaft as well as the 2 bolts

This shows the set up with the three bolts waiting to go through the cover into the rocker arm set up. This would still leave one bolt missing. I have put the bolt heads onto the bolts for illustration purposes. You can see the bolt hole that will be left redundant at the rear of the photo. To clarify the 4th bridge from the front (2nd from rear) is missing a bolt  IMG_2996.thumb.PNG.9f0fec6559bea7fb629c9aee4f06c149.PNG

6 hours ago, western said:

if there is no remains of a bolt in that hole, [could of sheared off & no-one has bothered to replace it]  just get a new bolt & fit, provided the threads in the head are intact.

Yeah I'm guessing they forgot it (or didn't bother) as well as the valve stem seals.