More Quanlity parts

TSD

Taken out of a Valeo branded clutch kit at the weekend... Difficult to get a decent photo of it, but the bearing is off-centre in the metal carrier, and the metal carrier is off-centre (in a different direction) on the plastic carrier :huh:

release_bearing.thumb.jpg.9fc6362bb6d576fc2403b39e2b95aa5b.jpg

release_bearing2.thumb.jpg.ab6b441d217facedfa8c68cca3de4d0e.jpg

Are these not "Self-centering" bearings (which align themselves to the load once put under pressure) ??

On similar bearings I was fitting to Sierra Cosworths some 30-odd years ago the metal outer-housing of the bearing is somewhat spherical and can pivot [though not too freely] axially within the plastic carrier. The first few times you apply the clutch the bearing 'settles' inside the carrier and all is well.

Ive put a rakeway in my ibex. I think Nige does a similar version but they both use the earlier style bearing which is a normal bearing with a large surface on the clutch side. 

On a similar note I've sent back two bearmach vacuum pumps this month because they didn't draw a vacuum.

Mike

Could very well be, not sure I ever looked at one too closely before. Gave it a good hard smack on the desk and the inner bearing can be moved across the housing. If the metal was crimped on straight it would probably be ok?

EDIT -  gave the outer cage a bit more percussive attention and now all looks good. Thanks Tanuki - as long as I learn things faster than I forget things, I'm happy :)

Edited by TSD